Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyez Open and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

RockwoodMike

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115453731883

I bought 2 yards of this headliner foam stuff. It has a black cloth glued to 1/4 foam..

It is time to work on the reupholstering  of the dash..I tried the white polyester...shown in the picture bottom right..

No good..don't use that..It is messy to glue and is lumpy under the vinyl

Use this headliner foam..3M 77 spray on glue..works great and has a smoothness to it that is easy to work with

That 77 glue is unbelievably strong..Spray on both surfaces..1 minute wait and it will stick great,,Gives a little bit of time to reposition..Then it is done..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..You can then flip it over to wrap the vinyl around the edges on the back side..

Pic 2 ..here is a screen shot of the 73 Indian sales brochure..Shows the dash where there is a brown vinyl trim at the bottom of the dash,,Black vinyl on the flat area is and then brown across the flat top, running into the windshield..

Using the original wood trim wrapped in brown vinyl with the same backer foam and the 77 glue

Ran out of daylight..that is all for now
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Bottom piece installed...

Pic 2..Top trim piece to be reworked..

Pic 3..All put together..

Pic 4..Here is what it looked like long ago..

RockwoodMike

Just trying to do what ever I can..

Dragged out the stuff that goes under the dash..Heater box..plenum..brackets..

Pic 1...Opened up the heater box..In pretty good shape..dusty

Pic 2..Filled up the heater core with CLR to test for leaks and clean out any calcium lime that it might be able to clear out..

Pic 3..Here is the wires to the fan motor..2 speeds..the slow speed power goes through that coiled wire as a resistor..Gets hot and needs the blowing air to cool it down ..

Is there such a thing as a solid state resistor??Maybe something better than a hot coil to create the slow speed...

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..The air plenum..Dirty but in good shape...

Pic 2..Flexible hoses for the windshield defrost..

Pic 3..Part of the dog house assembly..

Before I do all this, I think I will get the engine located in the frame..

With the dash out of the way, it makes finishing the engine easier..

So that is next..Install engine..

RockwoodMike

First coat of Gel coat on the front top...needs to be sanded then another coat..sanded again and then a third and final coat

RockwoodMike

Time for the engine to go in..

Pic 1..Engine on stand and trans on sawhorse bench..

Pic 2..With the right pistons in you can see how much higher the piston is..

Pic 3..With break in grease, it stays put on the cam shaft..It doesn't drain away like break in oil..The red drippy stuff..

Pic 4..Flex plate installed

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Ready to mate the trans to the engine..

Pic 2..Torque Convertor filled with 2 quarts of oil..Just to have it wet inside

Pic 3..Seal and input shaft lubed up

Pic 4..Rear mount point for the trans..Glad the rubber is in good shape..This is an odd ball mount with an odd ball tail shaft..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..When installing the Torque convertor..It will have 3 steps as it load in..And the final step is when it engages the pump correctly.
A straight edge across the bell housing will show about 1/2 inch distance..

If you don't get this right, you will bust your pump..You will bust the torqu converter
And you will bust your head against the wall after all this..

Pic 2..Another view of the TC in place..

Pic 3..The engine and trans should drop together easily..If you are forcing it together with the bolts..You will break the pump and or the TC..

Pic 4..I set the engine trans down and re positioned the chain to make it all hang level.. 

RockwoodMike

When you work alone, it isn't easy but this install went well..

Pic 1..Sitting on the engine mounts..

Pic 2..Rear cross member removed and the trans held up with the trans jack..Need to re install the cross member..

Pic 3..Sitting Pretty!! :)clap  :)clap  :)clap  :)clap

Eyez Open

That is quite a feat, a one man install. Great work.

RockwoodMike

Hi Eyez,

Thanks for the comment..I sometimes wonder if anyone else is looking at this long term effort..??

Always enjoy your input.. :azn:

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Dipstick tube for the transmission..the usual filthy dirty..

Pic 2..After cleaning it, found a pin hole in the tube..

Pic 3..Welded up..then it was powder coated..

Pic 4..Installed..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Since I am using external electric fuel pumps, the mechanical pump location need to be closed over with something shiny!!

Pic 2..Vibration dampener pulley..Powder coated satin black..

LJ-TJ

If anyone else is watching! Are you kidding. Everybody probably isn't writing because the don't want to disturb a man at work. Amazing doesn't even begin to cover what your accomplishing. You've got everybody rushing home from work every day to see what you've accomplished today and what the next project is for tomorrow. Finally I have something to look forward to everyday. Yes I have a 1975 Winnebago I'm working on and your making it so much easier following what your doing. Thanks a million for allowing us to look over your shoulder.Thanks a million times over. We really appreciate what you doing.  :)clap   :)ThmbUp

RockwoodMike

Quote from: LJ-TJ on June 02, 2024, 12:52 AMIf anyone else is watching! Are you kidding. Everybody probably isn't writing because the don't want to disturb a man at work. Amazing doesn't even begin to cover what your accomplishing. You've got everybody rushing home from work every day to see what you've accomplished today and what the next project is for tomorrow. Finally I have something to look forward to everyday. Yes I have a 1975 Winnebago I'm working on and your making it so much easier following what your doing. Thanks a million for allowing us to look over your shoulder.Thanks a million times over. We really appreciate what you doing.  :)clap   :)ThmbUp

Thank You Very Much!!

It was a long day getting that engine in and I was burnt out!! Doing all this work is for me but loading up all these pictures take a bit of effort too!!

Just wasn't sure if it was worth the effort, but I can see from your response that it is :)ThmbUp  :)

RockwoodMike

It is time to get the heads on the block..Just looking them over and found some problems..

Pic 1..Went down to "The Zone...AUTOZONE!!.. and bought a 14x1.25 sparkplug thread chaser..11 dollars and WOW I am glad I did!!
Original owner was running the wrong plugs..Plug for a 440 that was in a car or truck..Not for the motorhome

Pic 2..the original plug that was in it would start to thread into the hole but that hit the casting..So it was only in about 3 threads..Not bottomed out..
This plug has a gasket washer..It is suppose to have a taper fit..Surprised it didn't blow the plug out of the hole!!

Pic 3..Running the thread chaser cleaned up the threads..I was lucky!!

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=7373.0

Doing some research shows here on Classic that this problem has been addressed before in this thread..

And as usual Dave had the answer as to what plug is suppose to fit..This thread was back in 2013!!

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Just running a 3/8 tap to clean out all the bolt holes

Pic 2..Found a buggered up thread..decided to put in a thread saver insert..

Pic 3..Kit with several SAE sizes. Has the 3/8 size in it..

RockwoodMike

With the insert kit you get the special drill..tap and insert..

Drill out the old threads, tap the hole an thread in the insert..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Wiped the mating surfaces with acetone..Felpro gaskets from the kit.

Pic 2..Set the heads on and torque them down..Pic 3 is from the service manual..I added the torque steps..3 steps to a total of 70 foot pounds in the order shown on the picture..

A PDF file if you want to print it out for yourself..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1-2..New Headman headers..

Pic 3..Used 2..3/8 bolts with the heads cut off to aid in aligning the header to install..

RockwoodMike

The left header bumps up against the frame rail..Needed a slight cut to make it fit..

RockwoodMike

And another problem..the collector ends right at the leaf spring shackle..Maybe reversing that bolt will give me enough clearance..

I am so burnt out.not sure what to think..

Eyez Open

The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts.

I think your about to be tasked here...  :laugh:

Reversing the bolt direction and a flat pan head bolt might get you there. Headers are generally a pain in the lower back...

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on June 03, 2024, 11:03 AMI think your about to be tasked here...  :laugh:

Yea..I am going in deep on this one..

One more thing on this ..The starter!!! It "Fits" on this side too :P  :(