Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockwoodMike

Time for the work to clean up the intake manifold..I was thinking of a Edelbrock aluminum manifold 2191..But why spend the money..They are both dual plane..Just one is cast Iron The other aluminum and about 350 dollars

The EGR passage is shown in picture 4..This engine did not have a EGR..Just a plate to cover the big hole where the EGR valve would mount..If that plate is not a perfect seal, you would have a vacuum leak..

Maybe I can drill and tap a plug to seal it off
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Elandan2

A question here. Is your motorhome smog exempt? I understand the rules in California are quite strict.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Elandan2 on July 05, 2024, 08:10 AMIs your motorhome smog exempt?

YEP!!! :)clap  That is part of the reason, when I bought the motorhome..It is a 1973..1975 is the final year for the exemption..If you have a 1976, then every 2 years it needs to be smogged..

Now I am not going to have an engine that will spew raw gas as it goes down the road..The better and cleaner I can make it run, the better the gas mileage will be..
Original equipment for this thing is a PCV valve and that is about it..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Now there is one thing about this exemption..You can't modify the engine to cause more smog..So let's see.

I could not install a stick shift transmission..It would cause more smog on deceleration..That is why you cannot buy a stick shift vehicle here..Only a automatic..

The headers that I put on are CARB (California Air resource board) compliant..There was not a smog pump system on this originally..
There was not a catalytic convertor..

The carburetor is a CARB compliant replacement for the Thermoquad that it originally had..Edelbrock 1905

You can't modify it beyond what it was originally equipped with..The reason why this Motorhome is so light on smog equipment is it's weight capacity..Generally the heavier the vehicle the less equipment..

If this was a 440 Chrysler car, it would have all the stuff that is missing on the Motorhome     

Eyez Open

The below are strictly opinions,

No need for a dual plane, your engine will rarely see anything above 4500 rpm.

Block up your heat cross over ports, worse engineering ever done.

What type of ignition system? HEI Perhaps? I understand HEI and mopar are not common yet for the money there is no better ignition system out there...LMAO looking for a momentary bunker.

Setting up a new induction system and ignition system has changed a bit, the fuel we now burn has changed dramatically and not for the bad..It's quite interesting to see gasoline boil away at 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Yes I said that,below are pics of gas lines being routed up and away from a block...strictly to avoid heat buildup/soak.

Screenshot_20240705-153420.jpgScreenshot_20240705-153424.jpg 

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on July 05, 2024, 06:27 PMNo need for a dual plane,

That is what I have right now in the stock original intake..Left and right side feed 4 cylinders..blue and red lines show the paths..

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on July 05, 2024, 06:27 PMBlock up your heat cross over ports, worse engineering ever done.

Look at this picture where the cross over heat passage meets..It got so hot , that the cast iron was flaking off leaving pock marks in the casting..

You have 2 holes to plug off to keep the exhaust heating up the intake..How do you block them off..??

Forums suggest a piece of thin Stainless steel to fit the hole

RockwoodMike

The EGR was designed to supply 4 cylinders..The other 4 did not receive EGR..Picture shows the EGR valve outlet side and where the gasses came out under the carb

You are right..Worst design yet..But smog restrictions were really coming on heavy at this time

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on July 05, 2024, 06:27 PMWhat type of ignition system? HEI Perhaps? I understand HEI and mopar are not common yet for the money there is no better ignition system out there.

That is what I am going to do..You can use the GM HEI system on points and magnetic pickup distributors..

First pic is for points..I have magnetic

RockwoodMike

Eyez Open

Looks like your all over It,and a custom built HEI. The only possible next step would be powder coat..
 :azn:

RockwoodMike

It has been better than 110 degrees for about 8-10 days in a row..Can't get much done with that condition..

Did something today..The return line to the power steering system was kinked..time to make a new one..

Pic 1 ..shows where it was bent

Pic 2..A piece of 3/8 Ni-Copp tubing to start

Pic 3..Ground off the flare to release the original flair fitting..

Pic 4..Here is the tool..It does all sorts of pipe flairs..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1-2-3 shows the 2 step process of creating a double flair

Pic 4..Final product..You can see how it doubles the flair

RockwoodMike

Pictures 1-2 Slow bending comparing the new to the old..I slid a piece pf 3/8 rubber hose to protect the pipe from rubbing on anything..

Pic 3-4 shows the install

RockwoodMike

Time to look at the Distributor..

Pic 1..Dirty and filthy as usual

Pic 2..Inside with the magnetic pickup

Pic 3..Vacuum advance holds vacuum..Starts to move at 7-8 pounds

Pic 4..Full on at 12.5 pounds..

Ported vacuum or Manifold vacuum??

RockwoodMike

Tearing it apart..One piece at a time

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..The advance plate comes out with 2 screws removed..

Pic 2...Using a roll pin punch 1/8th size to remove the bottom pieces..That bottom plastic is very brittle..

Pic 3..Fully removed..

Pic 4..Shaft is removed..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..There is a thrust washer inside the housing

Pic 2..The weights and the springs for them..I think this is all stock setup

Pic 3..All cleaned up with the soda blaster..

Pic 4..I SCREWED up!! $@!#@! I broke the plastic sleeve trying to get the roll pin back in..Didn't have the hole lined up and it cracked it..Dang!!

Looking at the parts book, it is 2932988 for the Dodge number..Can't find it anywhere..Looking everywhere..

RockwoodMike

Eyez Open

Amazing to think a 40 yr old dizzy can be rebuilt. One would think the slop would be beyond rebuilding.

RockwoodMike

More like 51 years old  :shocked:

The bushings (2 of them) that the center shaft spin inside of are in amazing shape..There really isn't any load on the bushings like a points distributor would have..It just spins without touching anything as it flies by the magnetic pickup

RockwoodMike

Time to prime the engine oil..

Pic 1..HF oil pressure test gauge and from 440 source a rod to turn the pump with the drill..

Pic 2..Drill all set up reaching down to the pump

Pic 3..Break in oil with lots of Zinc

Pic 4..80 lbs

RockwoodMike

Got oil up to the rockers..Spilled some on the ground..

Installed the distributor gear shaft..Slot runs parallel to the cam at TDC of cylinder 1

RockwoodMike

Valley pan installed ready for the intake..

All the stuff for the linkage of the carb and shift down linkage to the transmission..

Can't remember how it all goes back together

LJ-TJ

:)clap I feel a powder coat job coming on. :grin: