Is my new Winnie considered a classic as far as the forum here goes?

Started by Rickf1985, July 30, 2024, 06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I am buying a 2003 Winnebago Journey and II am wondering if this fits in this forum? I mentioned I was back in the gear box and nothing, no replies and I posted a new introduction in the correct forum and got two replies from the same person. Seems like all the older people are gone? Or am I just trying to put in an RV that does not fit here? It is 21 years old.

RockwoodMike

Hi Rick,
I have seen a very rapid drop in participation discussions in the forums..But I have seen the signup rate of new members seem to be steady increasing..

I see about 6 active people in the forums..My project seems to be the only one that is active..Few questions come and go, but once the question is answered, then they are gone..

I think that a new project such as yours is Very Welcome..Shows us everything as you go about inspecting and fixing..

Maybe Oz should rename the website..All Winnebagos & Vintage RVs
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Elandan2

Haa !! On most other web groups, a 5 year old unit is considered a "classic". The posters on those sites don't even know that motorhomes were built before 2010. LOL
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Eyez Open

It's all just perception, it is quite odd to see how people perceive thing's. I've found more historical information on this website than most websites combined on Ramblers to top it off. The old search function that used Google to guide you back to this site was a god send. Way ahead of the curve.

I don't think to many projects will move forward, part supply is getting sparse along with the working knowledge base. Times are moving right along.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on July 30, 2024, 07:58 PMI don't think to many projects will move forward, part supply is getting sparse along with the working knowledge base. Times are moving right along

I think in a very round about but polite way, you are stating that we are all getting old!!
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Still a few lurkers around.  I pop in now and again and stir the pot. Many people seem to think Facebook is
 the new way to do things however that is the worse format for this type information. Sold my 77 Winnebago 4 years ago.  Have a 1999 Coleman Westlake Pop Up Camper that I been restoring now.
2003 would be Workhorse chassis.  I have a digital copy of the 1999 - 2005 P & W Service Manual if you need it and do not find it elsewhere. 38 files 459MB of info.
[move][/move]

Elandan2

I think he said it's a Journey so it would be on a Freightliner chassis.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Yup, it is on a Freightliner chassis. but about the same as far as getting parts, everything is proprietary and impossible to find ay a reasonable price. This thing has a ton of issues that I was not informed about. Brakess have a S cam in the R/F that is popping so That needs to be addressed. Chassis air is barely working and engine air is non working. Plus the transmission going into limp mode issue. The seller has told me to get a quote on fixing it and send it to him. We will see how it goes.

RockwoodMike

So have you actually bought it..Have it at home??..To get a quote from a Freightliner truck repair or just the local repair shop, is going to be an interesting difference..

Mill supply is pretty good at having Freightliner parts..

You had better be getting a good price on this thing..

Rickf1985

I bought it at the very bottom of the retail value. The seller is going to work with me on the repairs since it was listed as excellent with n problems besides a cracked passenger windshield.

RockwoodMike

Of the list that you gave of the things needing attention, the limp mode transmission is the most fearful..

That could be caused by a bad sensor..bad wire to the sensor..Low fluid..any number of things..

or the dreaded code that causes a teardown..Do you have a code reader..The after market offers many to choose from..

Oz

A big reason for drop in activity is Facebook. Our group there is almost as active as we used to be here. Although, a lot of the "activity" is just people wanting to sell their RVs. It's the lazy version of a web group IMO. I really don't like it. No real organization; everything posted just gets tossed in like a salad. But,that's just how it is these days.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

RockwoodMike

Oz

Yep, since 2010. But, nowhere near the number of members we've had here over a comparable time period.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

RockwoodMike

Hey Rick..Just wondering how things are going?? Just saw this video..Your limp mode might be as simple as a leaky connector..or not :(