Mechanical fuel pump

Started by mnoyes, September 14, 2024, 06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyez Open and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

mnoyes

Having a problem with holley 600 starving for fuel. Does the stock mechanical pump deliver enough fuel to the carb or is it internal of the carb? Idles and runs at slow speeds just fine. But when I step on it I have no response. New fuel..rebuilt carb.

RockwoodMike

I see you have a 73 dodge..My 73 had a plugged line that was in the tank..The line that goes inside the tank to the bottom and then pops out the top..Rubber fuel line to the carb the rest of the way..

I had to take the tank out to unplug it..But lets start easy..

Do you have an inline fuel filter..Plugged up maybe..?

The next test is a bit harder..You have to disable the engine from starting but you must be able to crank the engine..Do this by grounding the coil wire so no spark plugs spark..

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and get a coffee can that you can catch fuel into ..

Without the engine starting, the fuel squirting out the line into the coffee can should be a plenty good volume..pulse..pulse..pulse as the engine cranks....

If you just got a little spit of gas, then you have a plugged line or your fuel pump has quit..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Quote from: mnoyes on September 14, 2024, 06:18 PMBut when I step on it I have no response

When you say this "no response"..the engine doesn't rev up??..

Silly question..when you put the carb back on after the rebuild, did you hook up the throttle linkage..

If you had a poor fuel delivery problem and gave it throttle, the engine would quit..too much air and not enough fuel..

But if you are giving the throttle with your foot and nothing is happening other than idle, then I would think it is a linkage problem
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Eyez Open

These old rigs can be trying at times, trust nothing. Are you sure your gas lines and fuel filter/filters running to your fuel pump are clear and not checked..plugged or leaking badly?

mnoyes

Thanks guys for all the help. Replaced a the patch work of gas lines from the tank to the fuel pump with one piece of hose. Eliminated a fuel filter. And did the standard tune up (cap rotor plugs wires). Runs alot better but still feel a miss in her when cruising 55. Gonna spend some time on her timing I think. ??

Eyez Open

You need fuel filters in line on the gas rail for these RV"s. There is so much contamination in the fuel tanks it takes quite awhile for this new fuel to clean out the old tanks. Frankly two filters back to back for a few tanks...like maybe 6 tankfills... :shocked:

Unless you have a aluminum tank that is, aluminum will withstand the test of time far above a standard metal tank