Setting 72 Dodge 318 Timing?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 10, 2008, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank M

Sent: 8/27/2004 8:08 AM

I just tuned up my 73 Brave that has a 72 Dodge 318 in it. When looking down the front-right hand side of the motor I can see a plate with a hole in it that hangs out over the harmonic balancer. My assumption was that this hole was used to set the timing at TDK. There are no other marks on this plate. When I set it so you could see the timing mark through the hole it would idle fine but as soon as you put it into gear it would die. Fortunately I check the timing prior to doing the tune-up so I set the timing about back to were it was. Now it runs fine. The timing mark is no where near the hole. As a matter of fact it is not even under the plate. I set it so that the timing mark is visible at the right edge of this plate.

Does anyone know if there are other pointers on the timing chain cover? Also I found one book that calls for it to be set at TDK and another that says + or - 2 degrees of TDC??? Anybody that can offer any answers will have wife and kid's gratitude (I have been a little cranky over this). Thanks

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 8/27/2004 9:38 AM

Only feedback I can give you is that the Dodge MH Chassis manual says that the timing for a 72 318 with breaker point ignition is 5 deg BTDC +- 2.5 deg.  A picture of the timing cover in the engine section shows the timing marks cast into it on the drivers side of the cover.  Looking at the front of the engine, the timing marks would be in the 2 o-clock position.

Dave
[move][/move]

denisondc

Sent: 8/27/2004 11:22 AM

Not having a 318 I cant help much. I have had to find TDC by removing a spark plug and feeling with a drill rod when the piston was at the highest point - when the crankshaft also gets a little easier to turn. It took two people to do that.

On my 413 you need to hold a mirror and timing light very-darn-close to the fan to see the timing marks. Instead: I set the timing groove on the balancer at 5 degrees BTDC then painted marks facing each other on the bottom of the balancer and the front most part of the engine. I can check the timing from underneath, and adjusting it takes longer, but I dont loose any blood.

Is it possible someone changed your pulley/harmonic balancer to a different one? Is it possible someone changed your timing change cover? Does anyone know how to tell a 360 from a 318?

Slantsixness

Sent: 7/26/2005 12:39 PM

I have a 72 318 also. (but mine's in a '72 Brave so I still have the squared trim and narrower body)
The timing mark IS NOT cast into the timing cover, as the 318-1 and 318-2 the 318-3 has a metal tb mounted and a 4° ATDC sight tube.

the marks are from bottom to top (right side to left as the tab arcs):
5°               _
sight tube (for factory distibutor positioning and initial timing preset)
2.5° ATDC ___
0° TDC      _
2.5° BTDC ___
5° BTDC   _
7.5° BTDC_  (this is the top most mark)

There are probably no markings on the tab you can see other than lines.

If you are using electronic ignition, set the timing at 7° BTDC
If you have points, set timing at 2.5° BTDC

But your best bet is to reset the mixture and idle settings without vacuum advance first, at 2.5° BTDC then "power time" the engine. If done properly, she'll run like a scalded dog. Min runs great at about 5° BTDC with a "magic advance curve" at 32° BTDC. (Not every 318 motor will respond the same.)

Tom
Coincidently, the magic 35° BTDC point is directly center top, like the timing mark pointing to the watr pump shaft. the timing mark should be here with the vacuum advance connected ant the engine at 2200 rpm without being loaded (neutral).
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Frank M

Sent: 7/26/2005 1:59 PM

Thanks for the info. I eventually found that my tab had marks on it along with the site tube. I actually took the tab off and cleaned and painted up last season. It seems to be running real good now but I can not remember where I set it. I will check it and see if I can get it better with a couple of tweaks. I think I set it around 5 BTDC. I know when I set according to the one manual (TDC) I had it idled well but could not take any load. Well I'll see how she climbs the big Turnpike hill in a couple of weeks. Thanks again.

polarman

I'm going to have to do the intake gasket, head gaskets, and umbrella seals in my 73 318 in the spring. I don't think the timing has been right since I bought it. I was planning on timing it by ear, but if someone can explain to me how to get my eyeballs to see the timing marks then I will throw the light on it. I just can't see how it is physically possible to get a view of the timing marks.  ??
Delhi Lodge #439 Free and Accepted Masons

ClydesdaleKevin

I haven't tried this method yet, but you could paint the marks very well, and use a webcam hooked up to your laptop, aimed at the timing marks with your timing gun trigger taped in the pulled position.  Then you could adjust the timing from inside the RV by looking at the image on your laptop and turning the distributor accordingly.  Might take a few clamps and tape and whatnot, but it seemed like the best idea to me for a solo timing adjustment.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Elandan2

I found the easiest way was to move the crankshaft by hand to the correct timing mark and then paint a line on the harmonic balancer and the oil pan on the bottom of the engine.  That way, it is quite easy to see with the timing light.  Admittedly, it is easier to set the timing with two people, but once it is set, it doesn't change for a long, long, time.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck