Source for fuel gauge sending unit??

Started by poppinjohnnies, November 14, 2008, 07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppinjohnnies

Sent: 5/17/2006 12:14 AM

The sending unit is toast on my '78 Chieftain. I have a '73 Chieftain parts Winnie, but I am not sure if the two senders are the same. Since this tank was a serious booger to remove, I don't want to take any chances. Is there a source for a new sender? I'll test the sender on the parts wagon (I'll use a sawzall to cut the tank brackets on that one!) to see if it is good, but I don't want to pull the tank on mine again. Any ideas?

denisondc

Sent: 5/17/2006 8:24 AM

I cant be sure, but I think all of the mopar fuel gauges used the same sender units, from the early 60s through 1979 at least. I got mine from JCWhitney, by walking into their immense warehouse in LaSalle Ill. You can order online at www.jcwhitney.com. Do a search for -fuel float-, (they call the item a fuel level float). I understand they are also available from NAPA parts places, and the part number was mentioned on the CWM site a couple of years ago.

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 5/18/2006 12:35 AM

Since Dick(RLM98253) gave me the main fuel tank out of his Expo, thanks again Dick,  I have been hot on the trail of getting an accurate gas gauge.  What I did was replace both tank senders with the JC Whitney #ZX128525U.  These are 78 ohm empty to 10 ohm full senders.  With those in I still didn't get good readings.  So I tested the gauges with a potentiometer (variable resistor).  I could check how many ohms it takes to get empty, 1/2 full and full readings on both the stock dodge and aux round gauge.  What I found was on the main it was E=42, 1/2=23 and F=10.   The Aux gauge E=100, 1/2=16.5 and F=3.6 .  So the different gauges were way off and probably took different senders.  I did buy a new 2" round gauge from Shucks for $16.99 and it tests out just right for the E, 1/2 and F readings.  I know this might not make much sense to some and I probably need to do a Fuel gauge 101 story but I think after 33 years the fuel gauges and senders are shot.  I'm not done with mine but think I am on the right track,   Les

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 6/24/2006 11:10 PM

Its OK Les...I don't even HAVE a sending unit in my main tank...just the aux tank!  Fortunately its accurate, cuz the hardware holding that tank looks CRUSTY!

So, I run the main tank, all the while with the fuel gauge reading "full"...until its empty (200+ miles for a 24 gallon tank) and starts to sputter...and then I switch the tank (a lever on the floor to the right of the driver's seat) to the "Auxiliary", the aux tank, and watch the needle drop...lol.  Kind of like riding a great big motorcycle, eh?

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

legomybago

Yeah, my 73' fmc fuel gauge read "full" when the tank was empty, I pulled the sender out of the tank, and the float arm was in backwards..and upside down :)ThmbUp ..I was able to flip flop it around etc, then the gauge would only read 1/2 tank when full of fuel, then I ohm'd the sender.....and the sender is a 0-50 or 60 ohm...and the gauge is a 0-100 ohm....I never changed anything out, but I can tell you thats the only thing wrong with the rig!!!! (last time I parked it). :laugh:
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

gadgetman

Ha ! I do the same thing with mine :) I was cleaning out my dads garage and found a universal tank unit that will fit my tank. Just havent felt like droping the tank either.

I did have new tanks built 10 year ago out of stainless and had a gen pickup installed in the aux tank and the main tank. The main tank gen feed is 3 in off the bottom so it cant run that tank dry.

both tanks have drains and return feeds too for fuel injection but never did add that. Too much to do too litte time too little money ! dang toys !!!