Mounting Roof Storage Box

Started by Seon, July 22, 2010, 06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seon

I want to mount a Sears brand roof top fiberglass carrier on my 84 22' Chieftain.  What size and length screw can I use without going al the way thru the roof?

Oz

1¾" lag bolts. Drill the pilot holes and be sure to fill them @ ¾ full with good, long lasting caulk.  If you have it, it would be a very good idea to put the thick, gray eternabond tape over the holes and screw the lag bolts right through it.

If you are going to mount the unit flush on the roof surface, be sure to coat the roof with KoolSeal or other, quality coating.  Also, run a bead of caulking (or preferrably, use the thick, gray Eternabond tape) fully around the edge of the unit where it meets the roof.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

And be careful how much weight you put in that box.  Since yours is an 84 it probably has an arched roof so its a little stronger than the older ones with the flat roof, but you still don't want to put a lot of weight up on the roof.  Its okay to put camp furniture and whatnot up there, but don't throw water jugs, spare tires, tool boxes, or anything else that is heavy on the rooftop.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.