Water Heater Conversions

Started by OldEdBrady, August 30, 2010, 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldEdBrady

I recently had a problem with the water heater.  The pilot light ceased to work at all.  Checking prices on these things, I was afraid we were just out of luck as far as hot water was concerned.

Checking at a local dealer, I discovered that there is a conversion kit to create a hybrid heater to run on either propane or electric.  So, I took a chance and ordered one.  Cost about $110.

These little kits come in both 6- and 10-gallon sizes.  They are made by Camco.

Installation is a breeze, for the most part.  I merely drained the water tank.  The kit came with two sizes of "plugs" to cover almost any manufacturer's tanks.

I put "plug" in quotes because they don't really plug the hole.  They, too, have a smaller hole in them.  The anode screws into the hole to plug the entire thing.

A variable thermostat comes with the it.  Here you must attach the thermostat directly to the water tank.  That could require cutting through some insulation to get a good spot for mounting it.  And, it is mounted with tape, not holes in the tank.  For a good mount, it is recommended that the spot to be used be thoroughly cleaned with rubbing alcohol.

The kit includes a full wiring diagram.  It will probably require drilling one 1/2 inch hole in the outer wall of the tank mount (NOT the tank) to run the wires (2 of them).  One wire goes directly to the power cord, and one to the thermostat.

Absolutely all parts necessary are included in the kit.  Plenty of wires, mounting tape, etc.

For most people, the beauty of this system is that it can be used to switch between propane and electric, thus saving propane when you are using electrical hookups in a campground somewhere.  It's just a matter of pushing a switch that comes with the kit.

I think the full name for this thing is Camco Hybrid Water Heater.  or something mighty close to that.. 

OldEdBrady

I sat down with the catalog this evening, and got some additional information.

Camco is not the only one who makes these things, but they are the most inexpensive (in that catalog).

The 6-gallon size is listed at $109.  It's part no.11673 (as opposed to the catalog number).

The 10-gallon size is listed at $118 and is part no. 11773.

The "official" name is Camco Hybrid Heat.  It  comes in one of those nefarious blister pack, but once you cut it open, everything is there.

I haven't given the name of my RV supplier only because there are located only in the area (meaning the surrounding states).  But you should be able to find/order it at any RV parts supplier, or, maybe, on line from Camco.

OldEdBrady

An update.

Becuase I work frequently in the trailer, and use hot water from time to time when I'm cleaning up some mess I've made, I pretty much let the water heater with the electric stay on.

We were expecting to get below freezing, so I cut off the water and drained the hot water heater.  Naturally, this required removing the anode from the tank.  Not a big deal.

BUT...  Having it on all that time, lime had adhered to the anode.  Fair warning.  If you intend to use one of these things a considerable amount of time, you should check it evfery so often and clean it if necessary.

OldEdBrady

I've tried several products for cleaning the anode.  Some work great, some are just OK.

The best I found is called CLR (for Calcium, Lime and Rust).  It comes in a small bottle.  I simply opened it and dropped the anode in it.  Overnight, the entire thing looked brand new.

If you can find this product, I would highly recommend it.  I've found it available in a discount store (Family Dollar) and the local grocery store.

The bottle is not large, but just large enough to fit the anode and clean it.

When I removed the anode, I took out the ENTIRE fitting, not just the anode fitting.  The larger mount was enough to keep the anode from dropping into the bottle, wires and all.  It simply sat on the edge of the top of the bottle and held the anode in the stuff.

Oh.  And no dilution (mixing with anything) was used.  Straight stuff to clean.

pwf16129

I use CLR alot.  Buy mine at Lowe's home center... great stuff

Oz

For those who never used it or heard of it... what is CLR? 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

GWINGER

CLR is a calcium, lime and rust cleaner. It is made up of five different acids. The 99 Cents Only store has a knockoff of it that works just as good. CLR is trademarked name.
J

jkilbert

dont forget that the thermostat/regulator and burner/pilot are replaceable. i spent roughly $100 on ebay and now my tank works like a charm
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

ibdilbert01

I just bought the Camco 11673 RV Hot Water Hybrid Heat Kit - 6 Gallon.    Cost for an Amazon Prime member was just shy of $65.00.

I have not installed it yet, but here is a snapshot of the contents.   

Looks to be a super simple install.    The heater rod just sticks into a compression fitting, then it fits into one of the brass adapters and screws into the drain on your water heater.   The thermostat that comes with the unit is nothing more than a standard electric house style water heater.   I liked this particular kit because the heating element replacement cost is only $14.00. 

Its only 425 watts, however the reviewers claim they have hot water within 30 to 45 mins.     On the bright side, 425 watts is pretty easy for the inverter to handle should I boondock.

This option gives me plenty of ways to get warm water....

110v from shore power
110v from generator
110v from the batteries using the inverter
Propane
Motoraid

If one wanted to be really cheap, they could buy a replacement rod and a standard water heater thermostat  plus the brass fittings and put this together themselves.     
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Oz

That's awesome!  Will be looking forward to hearing how it works out.  Thanks for the photos too, definitely makes it look as simple as it sounds.

:)   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

You sure need lots of hot water, LOL  :)clap
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

OldEdBrady

I've been using a similar thing for several years now.  Haven't had any desire whatsoever to place the works with the propane stuff.  Yeah.  Electric takes a bit longer to heat properly.  But, what I've done is, plug the trailer into house current and fill the tank.  Heat it up.  THEN take off to wherever.  By the time we reach that place (and we do not go more than about 8 hours on any stretch), it's still warm, and then it's plugged in again, and have water as hot as we want.  Next day, off again.  taknk still has hot water, another travel time, and plug in again.  It has worked quite well for us.

The ONLY drawback (so far) has been the lime in water from place to place.  So, I use a product called CLR every so often to remove the lime from the heating rod.  As I said, several years, no problems.