Furnace, Remove or not remove

Started by JDxeper, October 30, 2010, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDxeper

I have a Coleman wall furnace and it still works.  It is the orginal furnace that came with the 68  F-17 Winne.  I do not use the Winne in the winter and have a small plugin electric , and a buddy heater for chilly evenings if needed.   Need pros and  con.  Remove or not remove??  i??
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Oz

Pros:

One less system to repair.
No need to worry about CO2 issues.
You can use the extra storage space.
Keep it and if you decide to sell the rig, reinstall it.

cons?   i??
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

Its so old I don't trust it.  Junk pile, me thinks. Y!  More storage space.

drmonteiro

My old F17 has never had a built-in space heater ... It was originally sold as one of a fleet to a business in Hawaii that rented Winnies as rolling beach houses to tourists.  When I lived up north, I used an electric plug-in portable for heat when needed.  I agree with Pharoah's  list of pros .... You'll have one less system to maintain and benefit from the increase in storage space if you remove it.
drmonteiro

Too Soon Old ... Too Late Smart

RV Mech Tech

Mark is right especially with the carbon monoxide issue-  biggest problem with older gas burning appliances is cracks or leaks  in the combustion chamber that will allow CO into the coach - I have done many tests in RV's with a hand held detector and had indications of c.m. gas in the coach but not enough to set of any coach detectors - very dangerous situation  -with something like a water heater the combustion takes place outside and is sealed from the inside of the coach  (taking for granted that everything is in good condition)  but since a heater is exposed to the interior the potential is greater for exhaust gases to get inside - same thing with house appliances but RV gas burning appliances are also subject to more moisture damage and rusting over the years especially when they sit without being used for long periods of time - if you want to put in a furnace later on both Atwood and Suburban make all different size furnaces  that can be retrofitted to any application  -  there websites give you a pic and dimension sizes of all their appliances .   :)ThmbUp

JDxeper

Ok , no problem, the old furnace is gone, history, kuput, I wouldn't trust it anyway.  On the scrap pile.

LJ-TJ

Woah, Woah stop the truck. Junk it are you kidding. Is it a stock item or option for that year Winnie? Put it on e-bay or tuck it away incase someone is restoring a rig and is looking for one or for parts. Holy cow were would we all be if everyone scraped their Winnies. Geeeesss.  N:(  W%

JDxeper

The only problem TJ, I believe it to be un safe.   Too much liability.

DaveVA78Chieftain

While the burner chamber maybe unsafe, the question becomes is the fan motor, high temp cuttoff, sail switch (and hardware), blower fan, etc still in a usable condition?  Pieces like that might be worthwhile to resale/donate.

Dave
[move][/move]

JDxeper

I'll do what I can to save the pieces parts. :)