A727 Transmission: Loose Main Seal and "sleeve"?

Started by Madathlon, January 21, 2011, 02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madathlon

OK I have a 73 Brave D20 with the 440 and 727 trannsmission.  The rear main seal is floating free and what looks like a sleeve is coming out of the tranny. Can I just shove the "sleeve" back in and replace the rear seal?
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

baggy73

I have a 73 D20 also. I replaced the tail housing seal and the rubber sleeve is part of the seal. Easy fix...Good luck.

Madathlon

this sleeve seems to be made of metal or a old plastic. could it be the bearing surface?
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Lefty

It's possible that it is a repair sleeve... I know you can get those for the rear and front of the crankshafts... but not sure if they have them for transmission tailshafts or not... That would be a metal ring or sleeve that fits over the end of the driveshaft yoke, and provides a new tighter surface for the rear seal...
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

LJ-TJ

Well unless I miss my guess and if we're talking about the same thing the rear seal is just a metal ring with a rubber ring on the inside to seal around the sliding yoke. Yeh have to be real careful not to scar the tail stock of the transmission but the seal just pulls out metal ring and all. Once you've removed it you just tap the new one in. If ya can get a short piece of exhaust pipe to put over the seal so you can tap the new seal in.

Madathlon

OK seems no one understands my question, the seal is at the yoke knuckle and there is a sleeve protruding from the tail shaft.
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

DaveVA78Chieftain

You are talking about items 85 (bushing/bearing) and 86 (seal) below

85 was a bushing in some A727s, a bearing in others.
86 is the seal.

There are different P/N for different primary P/N A727 units.  You have to know the P/N of your transmission.

To solve that your going to bite the bullet  and download the Service/Parts manual
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=144 from the store.

Everything (plus the rest of the picture) I just told you is in there.

Dave
[move][/move]

RV Mech Tech

That does appear to be a metal backed bronze bushing that is the bearing/bushing surface for the driveshaft yoke-  a parts list for the  727 will confirm this but it is usually pressed into the aluminum tailshaft housing - it is pressed into the aluminum housing (interference fit) and should not come out - if this is the bushing then I would check for other damage to the driveshaft yoke and tailshaft housing as well - some other transmissions such as the G.M. turbo 400 have a metal shield that goes around the speedometer cable gear to deflect trans oil away from the speedo cable adapter on the side of the tailshaft housing but I doubt that's what you are seeing here - possible causes are loose driveshaft or imbalance condition in the driveshaft that has been constantly pounding the shaft yoke sideways against the bushing and finally worked the bushing loose or the bushing was loose in the housing in the first place - take it apart and see and let us know what you find - as Dave has already posted the pic, that confirms it is the bushing -  once you get it apart check the aluminum housing for cracks and check the fit of a new bushing.   

Madathlon

Cool and thanks, I have plans on that as soon as I have some free money to work with. But For now I bet I can pull it and bring the bushing to Dodge and ahve them do a match up. But this does really help big time.

I do plan on the first to become a full member. This site has been very helpful :)
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Madathlon

So can the tail shaft be yank without pulling the whole tranny?
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

DaveVA78Chieftain

If there is clearance behind the transmission, the manual indicates it can be done without transmission removal (In-Vehicle repair section).  Covers about 10 pages because it supports 3 or 4 variations of tailshafts.  Unfortunantly you have chosen one of the few topics that has many possible answers depending on configuration.  There is around 15 different versions of the A727 in a MH.  Do not be suprised if most Dodge dealers do not even have a book listing for your chassis.

Dave
[move][/move]

RV Mech Tech

haven't worked on one of the older 727's for ages so I don't remember but take a look at yours and see if the rear housing can be unbolted - if not then another thing you can try is go to a transmission shop or a transmission parts supplier and check to see if they have an oversize  bushing ( oversized on the outside diameter of the bushing since the inside diameter of the housing may be damaged - usually they are one to three thousands of an inch oversize) or they may have a repair kit for this problem - I know they do have those type of kits for heavy duty large truck transmission as you do not want to have to pull one of those out just to change a bushing/bearing -  first thing to do is take it apart and see what damage there is and see what's available to repair it. 

GWINGER

Quote from: madathlon on January 25, 2011, 02:41 PM
So can the tail shaft be yank without pulling the whole tranny?
727's have a bearing in addition to the bushing, the bearing must be released to remove the tail housing. You can access the release clip by removing the rear trans mount, you will see an access hole. Any parts that you need are at a shop that I use in L.A., CA. If you are near that area I can give you the info.
J