Battery locations on a 73 D20

Started by Madathlon, January 24, 2011, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madathlon

OK here is my issues. I know where the 2 house battery's supposted to go, but what about the bat for startings, everything I read so far says 2 house and 1 starting.. But where did they hide the starting batt?
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

ibdilbert01

This might help.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/1973/pdfs/73-Brave-bro.pdf

I would be inclined to say one battery if for the chassis, and one is for the house.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Madathlon

Ah, OK so I wasn't going nuts, will have to change that though, guess I will have to find a good spot for a starter bat and use 2 house batts.
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

ibdilbert01

Those trays are a bit bigger than you might expect, I've got a 72 and my tray is holding 4 golf cart batteries for the house, and 1 starter battery for the chassis.

Madathlon

Oh, would you mind sharing how you have them set up and wired?
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

4winds

I,too, would like to see that.  Mine is set up with room for 3 12volt batts.  Ed

ibdilbert01

On mine, the tray goes all the way back to the frame rail.  And the tray is the width plus a few inches wider than two golf cart batteries end for end.   So with the 4 golf cart batteries crammed into the hole, there is "just" enough room to sneak the chassis battery in as you can see.

Its nearly impossible to service the two batteries in the back w/out pulling them out, but a small price to pay for the extra battery storage.

Madathlon

I know this is asking alot, but I would really love some form of wiring diagram to see how you set it up for useage and charging
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Madathlon

And if you cant, a butt load of pics of how its wired and I can turn it into a tech drawing of the set up. This can be useful to many members.
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Oz

There's already a diagram for multiple battery hook-ups in various layouts, both 6 & 12volt (and more)l  No matter how many batteries you have, the hook-up is the same. 

I extracted this link from another post.

http://www.azsolarutility.com/images/batt_pic_ocic.png

In addition, "Phred's Poop Sheets" has a number of great articles which break down a lot of RV systems in to mostly short descriptive bits.  Here's one on batteries, including how they are wired:

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html

Since the original topic was where to find the batteries, and that's been answered, how to hook-up multiple batteries, in excess of the OEM set-up, should be a new subject.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ibdilbert01

I'm sure there are multiple ways to configure the wiring in an RV, but this is how mine is currently configured. 

[smg id=3400]

Madathlon

Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

DaveVA78Chieftain

Just be aware that drawing is a modern update.  The original that you have is far from that.

You have a Progressive Dynamics PD-694 Series converter that was used more on trailers than Class A.  You most like have the PD-699 (20 amp) or PD-6995 (25 amp) version.

AC Side -  If I recall correctly, one of the pushbutton AC breakers is for converter and the other one is for the wall socket above it.

Center switch is used to select whether the converter or the battery is used to provide 12VDC to your rig.

DC Side - One pushbutton DC breaker is for 12VDC lights the other is for the furnace.

Here is a link to the manual for the converter:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4i55c5w0kk718pu

It includes a typical wiring diagram.

Dave
[move][/move]

Madathlon

Oh man, you just solved one great mystery for me, I was wondering what and how that thing was used LOL
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech