Spacer for front wheel size change (caliper clearance)?

Started by salplmb, February 20, 2011, 09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salplmb

i was just interested in your comment about machining a spacer for your rims to fit. i have been trying to change to a different tire and rim for a long time. the problem allot of us have is that in order to change the front rims they have to clear the disc brake caliper. on all the rims i have tried they all hit the caliper just barely. my question is can u use a spacer to make the rim clear the caliper? i have a 73 rm350 chassis. its a73 indian 440-3.
i have used spacers on my dodge 3500 dually for the back tires but have not heard about the fronts. the rims from my dodge fit but hit the calipers in the front.
thanks
sal

Madathlon

The issue there is your changing the front end set up. when you add a spacer you MUST adjust for offset and space allowed. So lets starts with basics.

Winnies front end for your 73 uses a -8in offset. So any mods I would do must come as close to this number as close as possible.
adding a 1 in adapter/spacer will move the offset by 1 in making it now -7in. this will affect toe and bump steering. It can cause shimmers and excessive tire wear, BUT this can be fixed with a new Tire alignment.

BUT lets say I had to make the spacer 3inches. making the change to -5in. this can NOT be corrected.

So it comes down to also getting a wheel with a different off set to make up for the difference also. My number assume the new wheel had the same offset as the stock. but most likely it wont and the number can be even father off. It is easy to make a spacer for the rear end because I DONT have to adjust for steering, Just for bearing load on the hubs.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

GWINGER

If you are barely touching the caliper, just grind it a little bit.
J