Converter replacement advice needed

Started by LJ-TJ, February 11, 2012, 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Well looking like I'm going to have to replace my converter in my 1975 Brave. It's going to be a one kick at the cat thing so anybody got any suggestions in what route would be the best way to go. Thanks guys. Hm?

JDxeper

TJ
I selected a converter distribution center combination for the 68 winne. It has a step down charger and 5 , 120 v circuits and 6,   12 volt circuits. To get the five, 120v line you need to use double breakers, I use two 15 amp doubles(four circuits) and a double 30/15 amp.  The 30 amp is the in put for shore or gen set and the other 15 is used for a circuit.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=236

looks fairly simple to install and was about $125.  but I was in need of both aspects.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

Thanks JD What I have is a Central Power Pack System P694 and am looking to replace it.

tiinytina

going to do same thing here... no battery power when "on" and batteries at full charge... so checking switch first... then probably converter/charger...  but maybe upgrade to inverter? who knows.. have to get a tester and go hunting first
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

I would have recommended any of the Powermax converters, but we'll see how they treat their customers with warranty issues before I do.  I just noticed last night that my voltage was down to 12.4...it usually ready 13.2 on shore power.  I checked the fuses, and they were fine.  Voltage going to the Boondocker is 120 AC, and its fine.  So my inverter stopped working, and we just got it!  I won't have time until Monday to see if we are running on just battery power, or if the converter is providing 12 volts, but no charging voltage.  I think the whole thing pooped the bed since I haven't heard the cooling fan come on since I noticed the voltage drop.

Anyhow, I'm rambling, and this definitely isn't the right place for this post...just don't get the Boondocker converter until I find out if they'll honor the warranty, and until I find out how many hoops I have to jump through.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

TJ,
A basic RV electrical system looks like this:

Note: the 30 amp shore power breaker is on the other side of the transfer switch rather than what is in that drawing.  You may not have Transfer like int the drawing. May be nothing more than moving shore power cable from campground post to generator

Modern day converters are connected directly to the battery like a car alternator is.  They no longer use a battery/converter select switch like used in your older 694 unit

You can replace your old unit with a self contained system like JD used or use seperate units like I did.
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5326.0

Either way the end result is the same.  Decision is based more on how much space and flexabilty in installation you need.

Just make sure you have several AC breakers.  Both JD and I use double breakers (2 narrow AC breakers in one normal size breaker position

If converter is seperate, you will need a recepticle built into the  AC panel to plug the converter in.

Try to get at least 12 DC circuits with mini fuses for flexability and expansion.  Either with built in circuit failure leds or use smart fuses.

Make sure you use a 3 stage converter/charger.  Size will depend on your battery bank size.

Lots more discussion in this thread:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5765.0

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Hey Guy's thanks for all the help. I'm starting feel a hole lot better about this. She's going to be  a good year for travel'n..well minus the cost of gas.

ClydesdaleKevin

Randy from Best Converters called me back, and is going to replace the bad one...so yeah, apparently I bought the only one that ever broke...lol! 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Froggy1936

I updated my convertor (due to the original burped) It took about 6 hrs along with modifying mounting. And the new one does a better job on keeping 5 yr old house batts up to full   Frank

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

Hey Frank,nice looking converter. What make is it.  Hm?

Froggy1936

Hi TJ Its a Progressive Dynamics PD 4000   Pur on EBay for  $143.40  Works fine Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

Sweet, looks like the project for the summer. Got to figure out how to fix the chassis air compresser pump or see if I can buy one. Just going to go out and see if I can get some kind of numbers off it. Hm?

ClydesdaleKevin

Whichever model you go for, get if from Randy at BestConverters.  They are AWESOME at handling their warranties, and very good at making us disgruntled customers happy again...lol!

The Boondocker we have is now reinstalled and working great!

They had the new one back to me in just 4 days!

They are a small American business, and fellow RVers!

Kev