Toilet: fix or replace?

Started by tiinytina, May 13, 2012, 07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiinytina

OK so this morning stumbled out of bed to use the toilet and.. my booty hit a bowl full... of water... Our Thetford Aqua Magic has never held water well... EEEKS... Obviously ball valve did not close properly and it leaked, filled the black water tank, and was bleeding over the internal bowl mostly down around the drain and was leaking out of the rig, though some obviously went into the subfloor under the laminate/foam layer.  (poured some bleach into underfloor and set a fan up blowing into the area after parking the rig until next use).  Valve seemed ok and shut off completely after  turning off water then draining tank (by the 5 gallon full at 6:15AM),  depressing the pedal a couple of times, putting water back on... but now of course have no trust in it)...

Back story. During our weekend out the stink bugs were literally coming out of the woodwork inside the RV... so I'd capture and flush them... ie the toilet foot pedal valve got a pretty good workout...

So.. A new mechanism is $100 basically... but.. a new Thetford Aqua-Magic V can be had on ebay for $150... yes its $50 difference not that much more work to change the mechanism out (haven't seen just the ball valve for sale yet but haven't put a ton of time into searching yet)... or  to replace whole thing.. old thetford is yellowed, a mouse chewed a hole in the back of the lid at some point, but otherwise... ok. 

Stick to Thetford or go to another brand? Dometic etc? don't know that others have experienced as to reliability, ease of install etc..... 

Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

OldEdBrady

I'm kinda partial to Thetford.  Used them almost exclusively (as in the Whiny Beggar).  Had some other brand in the Alfabago (according to the PO) but have NO idea what it was.  All I know for certain was that it was worn out and was only SUPPOSED to be 4 years old.  Replaced with a Thetford.

ClydesdaleKevin

For 50 bucks more, I'd go new.  Just keep in mind that if its a Galaxy/Starlite type Thetford toilet in your rig, your only replacement option is the Bravura toilet...the closet bolts are positioned at around 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock, instead of the standard 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock.  If you are lucky and your toilet flange is threaded into your tank, you can turn the flange so the bolts are at 3 and 9, but if they are glued, you are stuck with a Bravura...not a bad toilet, but your only choice...unless you cut off the flange part of the flange, drop your black tank, cut off the glued fitting, glue in another fitting coupler (preferably threaded), reinstall the black tank,  and then either thread in or glue in a new flange with the closet bolts at 3 and 6.  Looks like that is what we might have to do on ours if we want to go with a toilet other than a Bravura, and our coaches are close to the same year.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

I got a Bravura (like new - didn't even look used at all) from a freshly towed-in RV at the Magic Junkyard.  It was a rare and fortunate find at only $40 and, I liked the design and it worked very well.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Alaskan Itasca

I was fortunate that my bolts were turnable when I replaced my galaxy. I went with a Dometic porcelain bowl. I am liking this new toilet allot more than old plastic one. I would spend a few pennies more and get a porcelain toilet if you can.
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E

tiinytina

Thanks for the input... didn't even think about bolt alignment.. looks like I will be going over and pulling the old one out this week. Pat pulled it when we did the floor around it but I was not taking notes so no clue what the flange looks like or how it is connected....

Being a plumbers daughter and used to dirty hands as long as its functional, I'm not a style queen when it comes to the Loo....  :laugh: will prob stick with plastic to save a few pounds....

Tina

tiinytina

Oh YA... Called my favorite candy store.... I mean RV supply store on the PLANET... Sands RV in Monroe Ohio... and Bob's price matched the best price I had found from the get go... then only $12 shipping, AND he was like oh ya.. they are having a $25 rebate on them as well right now.. I'll send you the form...  http://www.sandsrv.com... Bob and Debbi ROCK...  So one. Bravura, High, Parchment (matches sink), foot flush... will be arriving soon...

if you ever need anything RV.. new or used... just call Bob Unger at SANDS RV... he has a working knowledge of every RV on the planet and parts for it...

Tina

JDxeper

That is a great place, Sands!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)