Heat setting shut off on Coleman Air conditioner with heat strip option

Started by moonlitcoyote, May 15, 2012, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

Can anyone tell me how exactly the heat setting works as far as does it just continually heat until you shut it off? It doesnt put out enough heat to warm the place up on really cold nights, but it seems to work ok during the day to take the chill out of air. But at one point it seemed to be blowing cold air.Is there some sort of cool down mode to it like the furnace?

ClydesdaleKevin

They are thermostatically controlled, so they will shut off when it reaches a certain temperature.  If you already have one, great.  Don't ever bother buying a new one though if it ever goes bad...they throw out about as much heat as your blow dryer.  A little ceramic heater blows out a lot more heat and draws a lot less amps.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

Thanks for the reply. Right now I am using an electric heater in the back room for the baby and an electric blanket for me. I just want to make my propane last as long as possible. But the Coleman does work for daytime use pretty well. .. I agree that it wouldnt be worth replacing if it goes bad, it really doesnt put out that much heat.

Oz

The heat strips were designed to, as you said, "take the chill out of the air"; for use during those times when it's really not enough to need to turn the furnace on.  Since it's built into the regular air conditioner and not actually an electric heater used in conjunction with it, the output is low by design and, if used continually, I've heard they don't last that long.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca