Custom Window screen help

Started by Stacy, June 17, 2012, 09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacy

We have two small windows that have a lever that runs down the middle to pop the window out for air.  We would like to think of a way to screen it but we don't know how we can split the screen without just simply cutting a slit - that wouldn't look too tidy, would it? 

Does anyone have any ideas on framing something to accommodate this? 

Sorry that the pictures are so dark, hope you can make them out.

Thanks,

Stacy

"It is our choices.....that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities".   Albus Dumbledore

Oz

It looks like you'd have to run 2 separate screens on each side of the center brace.  I don't know how likely it would be that you'd find ones the exact size needed but, you can just cut the frames to the needed size, trim the screen material, and simply screw them into the existing window frame on the top, bottom, and one side which is away from the center bracket.  OR, find ones or cut ones to size which extend halfway over the existing window frame and put those screw in, plastic screen retainers like they use in mobile homes.  In fact, you may find a match or something really close from an old mobile home.  The mobile homes are constantly being removed and parts sold from all over the country.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

gadgetman

If you just wanted one screen. you could use 2 iron on patches sized for the slit you need. Iron them on the screen and then cut the slit.

tiinytina

The windows in my greenhouse have a similar arm that moves the glass outward... they accommodate this by using brushes mounted on either side of a slit cut in the frame to accammodate arm and arm movement..... The brushes keep the critters from flying in through the gap for the arm.  I would just make a wooden frame staple in the screening then screw the frame to the inner trim. 

Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!