A727 to A518 Transmission Swap?

Started by thisoldhippy, July 03, 2012, 09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisoldhippy

Wantawinnie I will do that when there are more things to report! Have decided on the 47re or48re depending on what I find at this point! There is a man on cummins 4bt forum 69rambler who makes and adapter for my Isuzu! So those are the next steps I will be taking. Adapter with all the extras will be right at 600$ Still working on the tranny find!

Starting to wonder now about cooling a diesel. Do you know much about it? :)clap

DaveVA78Chieftain

Do you have a generator?  If so and it is gas what do you plan to do?

You would need to add that to the cost of your project.

Dave
[move][/move]

Wantawinnie

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on July 06, 2012, 11:29 AM
Do you have a generator?  If so and it is gas what do you plan to do?

You would need to add that to the cost of your project.

Dave

I had planned to use the main tank(50 gallon) for diesel and the auxiliary tank to supply the generator. I figure with the expected increase in fuel efficiency overall miles between refueling stops would be the same or better.

thisoldhippy

That was going to be my plan as well! Although I have a small 5gl tank I could use for the generator!  :)

jkilbert

I've been looking at all of the tranny threads since i've been on here and have seen alot of different ideas to get an o.d. unit in one of our rigs. The first thing to remember is that unless you have the 318 in your rig, you're running a big block. The a518 will not bolt up to our engines without appropriate adaptor plates and spacers. Although the compaines that sell the kits will tell you that it's all good, I personally feel that when you start putting spacers in things where there's not supposed to be one, it opens the door for Mr. Murphy to get in. Also the a518 is an electronically controlled tranny. In order for it to work in our vehicles or any non-computerized vehicle you need to alter the tranny to work off pressure and not electronics.
The thing that makes it difficult for us is that Dodge dropped the 400cid and larger big blocks after the 1980 model year. whereas Ford and GM kept pumping them out.

So here are some of my thoughts based on info that I've found.

I read the reviews on the Gear Vendors units. Everything that I've heard is good. It's a heavy duty unit, manually controlled by a switch on the dash. You can split gears for better power/economy. according to their website $3400 for the unit alone.

Another option is the GM 700r4, although it is not known for being the most stout unit out of the box it can be built to handle the abuse a 15k lbs motorhome will give it. They are abundant and cheap in junkyards.  They are not electronic and are controlled by a throttle valve, vacuum/pressure for shifting. They were put behind big block motors. The downside is you still need adaptors to make them fit out Mopars.

This option is one that is also looking good. The 1997-newer GM 4L60E or 4L80E. Again these are abundant and fairly cheap in junkyards. The 4L60E is an all electronic version of the 700R4. The idea of using a 1997 or newer is that in 1997 the case design changed to have a removable bell housing instead of an integral one like most trannys. what this means is that you order the appropriate bell housing/combo that fits whatever motor that you're putting it behind. As far as controlling the tranny, there are several manufacturers that sell stand alone transmission computers. These have been around for several years in the street rod market.

No matter how you do it. Don't forget driveshaft length adjustments, new u-joints, the possibility of new yokes, etc.

i doesn't matter how you cut it, you'll be into the job for a couple grand.

that just my 2 cents........John
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt