Replacement Black water dump Valve?

Started by Acuda4me, October 24, 2012, 02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acuda4me

This is on my 1970 Dodge Commander. Valve was missing. Found it in the coach and found out why it was removed: handle just turns without opening gate valve and there is a crack in the housing where the handle is. I quick search does not reveal a replacement. Inside diameter is 2.75" and Outside diameter is 3.5" Also, the blackwater outlet has a large hose clamp on it and this assembly does not appear to have been glued. Could this be correct? I'm including a picture.

jkilbert

The pic you posted looks like a standard 3" waste valve that any RV supply should carry. It should glue on and not be clamped.  A quick search showed them going for between $15 and $25.  It's not uncommon for them to leak or fail with age.

John
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Acuda4me

Well okay, that makes sense, but I would think that a 3" valve would, well, measure 3" somewhere. Again the ID is 2.75" and the OD is 3.5".

ClydesdaleKevin

You are actually pretty lucky nothing was glued in.  Take the whole assembly down to an RV parts place and match up the fitting sizes for a new updated Valterra blade style sewer valve and new fittings including the flanges.  They aren't very expensive, and once installed  if it ever fails again the new style valves are bolt in, easy to replace and repair, and parts are available for them like seals and handles.

Whenever you work with ABS, make sure you use ABS cement, not multipurpose.  Its the black cement made specifically for the black pipes.  Don't let some Home Depot hack try to talk you into the multipurpose kind.  Besides, then you'll have the leftover ABS cement on hand for emergency pipe repairs, and even tank repairs if you're lucky enough to have ABS black plastic holding tanks.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Acuda4me

Thanks for the tip on ABS glue, Kev, is there a brand I should look for or a specific place I should buy the stuff?

ClydesdaleKevin

Valterra is the brand to look for for the fittings, and Home Depot and Lowes both carry ABS cement, not sure of the brand, but the lettering on the can is white and light blue.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Elandan2

Ahem... or Dupree Valves  W%    Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Rick!  Forgot about Dupree products...pretty nice website by the way!

Kev

Elandan2

It's OK, not as cool as your's, but then again, it is kind of a different market!!  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

I apologize, Rick.  I should have drawn attention to this myself - please remember, you have been with CWVRV the longest of anyone and have been a support to both the community and it's administrtation.  Feel free to link to your products in any topic which applies!

So I don't have to "ding" myself for going off-topic, here's the link to the manual valve and parts available through Dupree Products, take a look.  Rick only deals with the best quality products:

http://www.dupreeproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Elandan2

Thanks for the kind words Mark.  Most of the time our products are just catching crap.  :)rotflmao  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

DaveVA78Chieftain

Acuda4me,
Your original valve setup (rotating slide valve like used in an RV toilet) has not been made for years.  You will have to convert to the slide style (push/pull) available today.  The center section (valve) is sandwiched between 2 pipe adaptor sections.  The assembly is held together by 4 screws so the valve assembly is repairable in the future.  The ABS adaptor sections are either glued to the existing piping or you can get clamp style transition fittings (typically used for converting from cast iron to ABS plastic).  The rubber transition fittings also act as a vibration isolator between a ridgid tank mount to a floating piping system.

Dave
[move][/move]