Boot stuck to rim on split rim

Started by weretrees, February 18, 2013, 05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weretrees

Taking tire off the rim to paint the rims. I have done this a few times now. I got the ring off but the tire bead and boot are stuck to rim cant get it to pull off. Im going to try wd40. I suppose I should get some tire tools. Ive been using long pry bars to change the tires, and a dead blow. Any suggestions on the tools I need to purchase and a trick to getting this rubber off. All thoughts are greatly appreciated.

These are 5 lug bud rims and the tires are the tornel. Brand new. Correct size too. 

Thanks...
Wannabango

LJ-TJ

Sorry Mate haven't heard of to many guys doing there own split rims. I think a lot of us are a chicken shits when it comes to messing with split rims. i??

doylexl

I have found that if you lay the tire flat down and drive over the tire it usually comes off. Poor man's tire machine.

Oz

Here's something Kevin Smith posted on changing split rim tires.  A couple paragraphs down, it talks about removing a stuck tire and then the boot.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,992.msg1008.html#msg1008

The message search is a very powerful tool!  Too bad it can't be used to remove a tire.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

weretrees

The link does nought for me. I cant find anything on this subject. All I find is folks complaining about changing their own split rings.
Wannabango

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Oz

Quote from: weretrees on February 23, 2013, 07:41 AM
The link does nought for me. I cant find anything on this subject. All I find is folks complaining about changing their own split rings.

I don't see where this post is only folks complaining about changing their own split rings. It's a pretty detailed post about how to change one!  Are you sure you were reading the right post?

Here's just an excerpt on exactly what you were asking... from that post:

QuoteNext, and this is the hardest part, you have to remove the tire from the rim.  I tried turning it upside down and jumping on it...no results.  I tried hitting it along the bead with a hammer...no results.  You can use a mattock, but it can destroy the tire AND rim if you hit it wrong, and I didn't have one anyway.  What worked?  Ah.....patience.  You see, the tire will adhere itself to the bead of the rim opposite of the lock ring.  And boy was it adhered!  I set the rim, round side down, on a stump.  Then, sitting in front of it, I took my fattest tire iron and started hammering it between the rim and the tire, being careful not to damage the rubber.  I had to do this every couple of inches, and then go around again!  Finally, all at once, it dropped off the rim, right on my toes!  Again, boots, not sandals, are a good idea...lol.

The next step is to remove the boot and innertube.  If the valve for the innertube is still visible, push it through until it disappears inside the tire.  Pull out the boot/flap, and then pull out the innertube.  On mine, when it went flat it pulled the valve stem into the tire.  The valve stem proceeded to shred the inner tube, and all that was inside my tire, behind the boot/flap, was rubber confetti!

And it covers the whole process as well.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep...as the author of that post, it was pretty detailed and instructive, if I do say so myself.  If I could do it then with my then VERY limited mechanical ability, anyone could.

The problem is getting the tire to disengage itself from the rim, because they adhere to it over time.  And some tire shops unnecessarily add glue to a split rim bias ply bead, since they are used to radial tires without inner tubes, and they do it because that is what they usually work on.

The boots/flaps will come right out, once you break that seal and get the tire to flop off the rim. 

Mine were VERY hard to coax away from the rim...it was a chore.  But once I figure it out, it went well from there.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

weretrees

Thanks great info. Thanks. I finally got the tire off using another rim and a tire iron as the above gentleman said. Really stuck. I couldnt get the link to work thats why it did nought for me. Also when i did searches for split rim tire changing I couldnt find what you had posted. I just came up with topics on how dangerous they are. I guess I suck at using the search engine. Thanks a lot for the help.
Wannabango

ClydesdaleKevin

Great!  And now that you have found and read the post, pay close attention to the safety procedures for reinflating them.  Make SURE the lock ring is seated, wrap chains or cables around it TIGHT, inflate it upside down while standing on it, and it will keep your head on your shoulders...lol!  I can be done safely, but you have to follow all the steps.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.