How long is your dip stick? (440 oil capcity)

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 20, 2008, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/22/2004 10:57 PM

Well guys, my wife told me to be careful how I asked that question.....I couldn't think of any other way to put it, and figured it would be an attention getter.....
I changed oil and filter on my rig ( 440-3 ) put in 7 qts in, nothing shows on dip stick, (dry) dip stick is going into oil pan and not comming out of housing guide anywhere, oil pressure is normal, and no leaks.....anybody know the lenght of the dip stick, mine seems to be the original, 45 inches long. I measured oil that was drained, and 8 quarts came out. I know the capacity is supposed to be 7 qts with a filter change, but a note at the bottom of the page of the Winnebago owners manual it says, " Specifications and Design Subject to Change Without Notice. "
Aynbody else have an 8 qt system on the 440? The filter I used is not oversized it's a Fram PH 43, filter that came off was a Wix 51058. Seat seal on both filters are the same, and line up with seat ring perfectly, so I do believe it is the correct filter. Could I have a different oil pan?  Looks like there was some damage repairs to bottom of radiator and cross member radiator support, maybe oil pan was replaced. Is there an 8 quart pan that will bolt up to the 440-3? I put another quart in and Wal-la, oil is on the full mark......
Any guesses?

Thanks, 
Timmy

Sent: 9/23/2004 7:17 AM

Im sure there have been oil pans of different capacities for the 413/440 engine family, but thats all I know about it. 

Sent: 9/23/2004 8:17 AM

Its not the size of the dipstick that matters, it how long it takes you to check your oil that counts!!

My 78 Apollo 3300RB with the 440-3 also takes 8 quarts. That is why I thought it was strange when members were saying how much extra oil a diesel would take compared to a gas engine in the diesel motor swap for 440-3 thread. Being that this is the only 440-3 powered motor home that I have owned (my Winnebago had a 318) I just assumed that all of the 440-3 engines used 8 quarts of oil for an oil change.

Sent: 9/23/2004 5:39 PM

Isn't that a personal question?

My 73 440-3 also takes 8 quarts

My original broke stick so I found a different one, changed the oil and marked ware full was.

Sent: 9/23/2004 9:51 PM

Timmy, the specs keep getting confused.  The standard 440-3 engine used in CARS and LIGHT TRUCKS/ VANS has a 7 quart oil capacity; the engine used in the motorhome chassis has a deeper sump in the pan, adding a quart to capacity.

My 440-3 also holds 8 quarts with filter change; 7-1/2 without filter change.

John

Sent: 9/23/2004 10:33 PM

Well I guess the consensus is 8 quarts oil of capacity....Both the Winnebago Owners manual, and the Dodge Chassis Service manual, both say, 6 plus one, but 6 + 1 leaves me high and dry, so, eight, is the lucky number, and my manuals are wrong...I can live with that, but it scared me for a minute, I was very tired, and had to ask myself ( for a second)  if I put the oil in the right hole? Was leaking out of some mysterious place, or was I on Candid Camera....Thanks, Everybody
Timmy

Sent: 9/24/2004 6:23 AM

The consensus might be 8 quarts for your vehicles; not for mine, a 72 with the 413, and apparently the same oil pan as the 440-3s.
The service manual I am looking at is for the 73 and earlier Dodge chassis, a chassis which could have come under a 74 finished Winnebago. It say 6 quarts in the sump for all engines, 318-3, 413-1, and 440-3, plus a quart for the oil filter.
6 quarts in the oil pan brought mine to the full mark on the original dipstick, and on the replacement dipstick I made after the original lost its brazed on tip.
It runs nicely with 5 quarts in it too of course. I also tried it with 7 quarts in the oil pan; that worked fine too - no problems with foaming or the resulting low oil pressure at highway speeds. This was during a days drive of 500 miles.
The parts catalog shows the same part number for the engine oil pans on all 413-1/440-3 engines from 69 through 1977.
So my conclusion is that 6 in the sump is okay, and so is 7 quarts, whatever results in a dipstick reading that reassures you, and which doesn't involve the oil pressure dropping after you have been buzzing along the interstate for half an hour.

Sent: 10/18/2004 11:37 AM

I changed the oil in the spring when I put the new intake and carb on. Dumped 7qts right down the valley, and after running it the dipstick read full.
Checked the oil during the summer, down 1/2 a qt according to the stick.
Went to check it before leaving for the east coast Jam this Friday, nothing on the stick.
Put in a qt, then another, then another. 4qts, and still nothing on the stick!
Drove it out of the house driveway into the garage driveway (downhill) still nothing on the stick.
Told the wife something was screwy, that there is no way it was down 5 or 6 qts. It had good oil pressure, and it didn't drop on hills or corners, and it didn't rattle.
Warmed it up, dumped the oil (got about 10qts out of it!) and put 6 qts back in.
Still nothing on the stick!
I know 7 with the filter took it to full before.
I owned a ton of BB Mopars back in the 70's and 80's, and never seen anything like this before.
Oh yeah, I blew air down the dipstick tube, and it came out the drain plug, so I know it's not blocked.
Danged if I know what's going on!
The only way to find out is drop the pan I guess.

Sent: 10/19/2004 7:01 AM

Is it possible that the dipstick tube may have been bent somehow without you realizing it?

I just changed out my radiator and accidently bent the dipstick tube in the process. I changed the oil and filter and refilled the engine with 8 quarts of oil (knowing this equaled the full mark on the dipstick originally) and "recalibrated" the dipstick tube until the stick was back to the full mark. 

Sent: 10/19/2004 9:58 AM

I'm the type of guy that always likes to think his dip stick is actually longer than it is, but my wife assures me otherwise.  All kidding aside, I had a problem with my 72 C-20 a couple years ago.  The tube had loosened where it fits into the engine and worked its way out.
When I attempted to replace the dip stick after checking the oil, the stick got hung up on the edge of the motor where the tube had worked its way out.  I put the tube back in place and wired the tube securely in several places along its length to keep it from vibrating out again, and haven't had any problems since.  Is it possible that you tube has worked all the way out and the stick isn't feeding into the motor?  Just a thought.
Photoman

Sent: 10/19/2004 10:56 AM

Tubes not bent, and it's seated in the block.
Got me stumped!

Sent: 10/19/2004 4:29 PM

i know alot of us have had the end of the dip stick break off for whatever reason. have you checked to see if the little flat end is gone? the way i fixed mine was to remove the little extension tube that brought the dip stick out to the front of the grill. then i just pushed the dip stick down the rubber hose that was on the extension untill i got the reading on the end of the dipstick that i wanted. then i marked how much shorter i had to make the extension tube, cut it and reinstall. it was really easy. only had to shorten it by 3/4". at least if you take off the tube you should be able to push in the dip stick till you get a reading. cant think were 4 quart of oil would be hiding in there. hope this helps allitle.
sal