Windshield wipers for 1983 Holiday Rambler Imperial?

Started by Espiritus, April 19, 2013, 10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Espiritus

My windshield wipers surely haven't been functional since some time in the mid-90's. The "rubber" is hard as a rock, and has a most interesting contorted curvature. . .looks somewhat like driftwood.

Being the earnest person that I am  W% , I immediately read every post that I could find, and went to all the links for Trico, emailed them when my year wasn't listed on their website, and discovered that they don't support it. . .

So, for a 1983 Rambler Imperial, are we buying the length at walmart and retrofitting them to our wipers? Applying RainX and hoping? Is this something I have to figure out and then report HOW I did it? ???

I have to tell whoever created this forum, I LOVE the emoticons and could go absolutely crazy with them. But, I'll resist. . .as long as someone tells me how to change my wipers. . .

And, someone should have told me that ONE of the buttons on my "command center" dash was an AIR HORN. . .scared the  $@!#@! out of me. . .there are too many unknowns here.

M

LJ-TJ

Got a picture of what your wipers look like? Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Why golly gee wilikers  D:oH!   on page 12 of the 84 Holiday Rambler Users Manual Coachman uploaded, item 9 of the dash is marked as ....

AIR HORN  :laugh:
One step at a time. 

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

HandyDan

Take your wiper to an O'Reilly's or NAPA store.  They have them.  Give me a little time and I can come up with the part number. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Espiritus

Now Dave, my skin isn't quite that thin, and besides, it is on page 10 of the owners manual that I located that is specific to my lovely MH, and it does label button 9 as an AIR HORN, but, shoot, I occasionally forget that I am female, and therefore revert to the more masculine method of discovery, i.e., don't read the manual for EVERYTHING except as a last resort!

I have to admit that I left the manual in the house. . .

I'll be taking apart my wipers tomorrow. . .after the paint dries. . .what exciting times.

M

Espiritus

Back to watching that paint dry. . .never thought owning a RV could be this adventuresome. . .

I can't take a picture worth posting of my wipers without a ladder, although I might be able to lean over on the dash and take it from the inside. What a dash! I think my Great Dane could find room to turn around on it. . .

OMG, there is a finger pull behind the dash that opens up the whole back of the darn thing! I just found the fuses that I have been looking for.

Thanks guys. You are awesome. What a creative way to show me where to find those darn things.  :)rotflmao

ClydesdaleKevin

Couldn't find direct fit wipers for our 89 Holiday Rambler either.  Ended up using ones the same length as stock, and used a small long stainless bolt and locknut on each of them and, running the bolt through the center hole on the new wiper assemblies, through the hole in the wiper arm, and through the hole in the plastic washer nozzle thingy.  Then the lock nut got snugged tight enough to keep it all together while being just loose enough to allow the wipers to pivot.

Pretty thin bolts, about 1.75 inches long if I recall.  When I think about it I'll take a couple of pictures and post them.  I did them 2 years ago and they are still holding up strong and work great.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

As promised here is the part number for the wiper blades:
Anco HD 52-20  20"  from the Heavy Duty Series

You will need a 1/4" wrench and a small straight slot screwdriver to remove and install them.  There is an included spacer to fit the arm.  You will need it.  Getting all the holes to line up can be a stretch.  There is the washer, arm, spacer, wiper, spacer, arm to go through.
You will probably need a personal elevation device, such as a step stool, ladder, etc. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  That's pretty much the way I made the stock ones from AutoZone work...with a small slot head bolt and locknut. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

QuoteI have to tell whoever created this forum, I LOVE the emoticons and could go absolutely crazy with them.

Yup, I like them too....

BanDan
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HandyDan

Quote from: Espiritus on April 20, 2013, 01:06 AM
OMG, there is a finger pull behind the dash that opens up the whole back of the darn thing! I just found the fuses that I have been looking for.

Those are the coach fuses that were added on for the motorhome.  They go to the spotlight, steps, air horn, cb radio, etc.  The chassis fuses are under the dash.  If you stand by the driver door and look up under the dash you will see them. 

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Stripe

I dunno about a Great Dane, but I know a Husky can turn and sleep on the dash!!

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28