Sungard Awning Questions (How do you open the darn thing)

Started by rclifton, April 22, 2013, 12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rclifton

Hi All,

I'm back with more stupid questions lol..  I've never had an awning before and the Wife wants to see what the fabric looks like on the current one as well as how bad it is.  I've tried to explain a number of times that it is almost a given that it is shot (I don't think it's been unrolled in almost 20 years lol).  Anyway I can't figure out exactly how it opens.   I'm pretty sure I'm just supposed to lift up but it isn't really moving.  Having never owned or operated one, I'm concerned I'm forgetting a step and will end up breaking something etc..  The hardware appears to be in very good condition (mostly heavy aluminum) with the exception of a few rusted screws and lock pins.

Here are some photos.  The PO's son stated that it was purchased from a camping world very early in the motorhomes life, it is a Sungard.  I will post pics of the instructions I have as well.  If anyone could kinda walk me through it etc I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Operating Instructions..

Diagram..

Top View from the side..

Top View looking down.

Top View looking straight on.

View of the bottom attachment..

Lefty

On the backside of each vertical arm, there should be a knob. You need to back both of them off a couple turns. They do not have to be completely loosened, and it might help to spray them with WD-40 before you try. Then, with a person on each vertical arm, lift the arms up about an inch or so, and pull the arms outward at the tops...  Those travel locks have to be removed from each arm first (The pins that you showed in your bottom picture about 1 1/2' up the arms.)The awning should start unrolling.

After you get the awning completely unrolled, it will be set too low to open the door. Lift upwards on the arms until it is high enough that the awning won't hit the door when it's opened. Then, while holding the arm up, turn the knob you loosened in the first step to lock them in place at the right height.

Now, there should be another set of arms, usually mounted at the top of the RV, and these swing out from the bottom upwards. Raise these up until they lock into the brackets at each end of the roller tube. Then apply slight tension on the awning outwards and lock these arms into place (usually they have a knob) which holds the awning out nice and tight. "They are referred to in your instructions as the upper and lower rafters."

When you put the awning away, I usually lower the height arms, then unlock and fold away the end braces. then allow the awning to roll slowly back until it is against the RV. It will be slightly too low, so you have to physically lift each end arm an inch or two and let the awning roll the last bit until it can rest in it's carrying cradle. Then lastly, lock the lift arms be turning the knobs.

Some tips,
Awnings that are old don't tolerate high winds very well, be sure to put the awning back up before any storms.
Also, to prevent water from forming a small lake in the middle of the awning... raise one end arm a few inches higher than the other... so that any rainwater or A/C condensation can run off. Otherwise the water can rip the awning in half... and if your under it you get a free bath.
Lastly, always make sure the roller tube is in the upper travel cradle, and the travel locks are in the end arms to lock the awning securely before you drive.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

talon59

Good day friends! Do we know the manufacterer of this awning? I am new to the game myself and am trying to gain all the knowledge possible.

Oz

This is exactly the same awning I had on my first Indian.  It would be great if we could get a scan of that instruction info.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

rclifton

I've got all the literature on it I believe, including installation instructions as well as an update bulletin to installers.  I'll drag the scanner out later and make a copy.  Should I just attach them to this post?

Thanks also for the info on opening it Lefty, I'm thinking it's a tad frozen from not being opened for so long as I'm unable to "lift up" either end at the moment.  I'm going to soak them in penetrant and try again tonight.

Oz

Attaching them would be quite sweet.  I have upped the attchment sizes to 10mb to permit larger files.  Anything larger than that can be put into the main gallery album - up to 32mb... just add in the description block the topic title to which it goes... even the link.  That will help me find it easier.

I recall my Sungard, even though I used it frequently, could be rather resistant to letting go... and setting back as well.  I'm sure it needed a good cleaning and lubricating too.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Well I'll be snookered.  :)clap   While not exactly the same model, I least now know the name brand of my awning is Sungard!

Vinyl and Canvas repair tool: http://www.awlforall.com/merchant2/index.html

Thanks,
Dave
[move][/move]

rclifton

Glad I could give back at least a little, appreciate all the help you and everyone else has given me so far DaveVA78Chieftain.  I hope these came out ok.  The instruction manual is one long fold out sheet.  If this doesn't look that great I will try and scan them as pictures and fit them into one long photo.

Oz

They came out just fine.  :)

I'll be combining them into one doc, putting them on the server and adding them to the resource list.  They are currently being moved to the gallery repository.