shower pan slope, factory foam gone on bottom side

Started by sbb2112, April 22, 2013, 07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbb2112

We made it through our first year with the RV. The floor under the bath area was awful spongy so winter seemed a good time to check it out. The only thing left under the bath is the sheet metal under what was once wood and foam. We disected the entire area and have the materials on hand for the new floor but the shower pan had some sort of foam on the back that flaked off when we pulled the pan. The pan is fine, no cracks anywhere but the foam is toast. It isn't constant thickness and I assume it is for drainage. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get some slope again?

DaveVA78Chieftain

If it is solid foam then a electric carving knife and a trashcan lid for a slope pattern.  Finish of with rough sanding.

Dave
[move][/move]

ibdilbert01

Not sure of your bathroom layout, but my 72 just had a square floor and a square pan.   We removed the foam and replaced it with a 3/4in plywood floor.  We just used multiple wood shims and made one corner  of the floor high.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

sbb2112

Thanks for the info.. I think I am going to try to merge these two thoughts. I have a squarish floor plan and the drain is closer to one corner. I am going to put wood strips around the perimeter to raise it up and foam to slope to the drain. I had thoughts about using a mortar for the slope but not quite sure on that.

Oz

Keep us updated and let us know what you do.  Pics are always a big plus too!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca