Windshield replacement

Started by rude-a-bego, May 03, 2013, 11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude-a-bego

Call it windshield envy, but I have noticed on many of your old Winnebagos, your windshields have bee replaced and have a rubber gasket around them.  My windshield appears to be original; the metal trim around it does not look like it has ever been off.

It does not leak, that I know as I live in AZ and have not driven it in the rain yet, but there is a small ding like a BB hit it.

My question is, how do you get it replace with the new, safer glass and the gasket?  i??

Thanks for any info,
Rudy  ,':{ Ì´

Elandan2

Your '76 has the windshields bonded to the steel sub frame with a urethane adhesive.  They are mounted the same as a car windshield.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

rude-a-bego

Safelite wants $300 for each side to replace.......  Ouch!  Oh well, not a priority right now.
Thanks

Oz

The metal frame wasn't designed to be taken off for replacing windshield glass. 

If and when you want to consider replacing one or both... read this it's all you need to know an more:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,3368.msg7992.html#msg7992

"Windshield" in the message search
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ibdilbert01

QuoteSafelite wants $300 for each side to replace.......  Ouch!

Yikes!!  Might be better finding a local small glass guy to do it.    The last quote I got was $75 bucks a side with 3" tinted top, but thats installation done myself.   I didn't get a quote for the gasket, but he did tell me he could get it.   
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

ClydesdaleKevin

I had the flat glass replaced in the Ark for about 75 bucks, with a new gasket.  Should be around the same for yours.  Heck, the quote I got for our Holiday Rambler with proprietary curved glass and all new gaskets, installed, was only 400 bucks, but that was just the driver's side, but new gasket all around.  Shop around, because that sounds like robbery!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Robbery  Yes My 1 piece tinted shaded WS for my 77 Chev van was only $250.00 installed (with old gasket) Itwas still in good flexible shape and no leaks ever   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

rude-a-bego

Thanks all for the advice.

Will definitely shop around.  I'm in no hurry.

Peace.