Let's talk about Fire Escapes

Started by Espiritus, May 15, 2013, 11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Espiritus

Ok, folks, I read some of the old member articles regarding fire escapes and fire extinguishers, and viewed some pretty disconcerting pictures.

So, I went out to my ride and started looking. Won't even mention the ORIGINAL fire extinguisher (yep, 1983), so lets go to the back window that is labeled "escape."

I don't think I want to measure my derriere  W% or practice using this window. There are no instructions, no "pull tag," and no idea HOW to use this escape. . .

Anyone have any instructions or idea of how one escapes from these windows? Anyone retro-fitted a new escape route?

With my first outing coming up, I am installing a simple battery powered smoke detector and will get a new fire extinguisher (or two, or three), but this "escape window" is problematic as I don't think it can be functionally practiced.

Do I stow an emergency exit HAMMER in the rear of the ride?

Ideas?

M & J

You could. The one in our Allegro is the rear coach glass and the pull tape is gone for it. For us, we'll just use the potentially now empty fire extinguisher bottle (or stil full if no time to use) and make any window that's close the emergency exit.
M & J