Hydro Flame Model 82 series Burner refurbish

Started by Stripe, May 30, 2013, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

First thing I did was unplug the spark wires and remove the four corner bolts to remove the burner..

I was originally going to put a couple of bursts of air through it, but noticed there were still some flakes of rust still stuck in it.

While looking at it I noticed it was just a few strips of corrugated steel sandwiched into it and held in place by three nuts(3/8") and philips head bolts.  So I took a pic just in case, before taking them out.

After removing them, I used a small philips head screw driver to push the strips up a little at a time because those things will bend and break easy (luckily I noticed they were soft and took it easy from there)

Once they were out enough to grab the stack with pliers I pulled them out gently and as evenly as I could by going up and down the strip.

I then wire brushed each strip clean and using the photo, I put the stacks back together again held them together as I put them back into the slot on the tube where they came from as far as I could get them, then used a small piece of wood as a bumper and tapped the strips in very gently with a small hammer.

Once they were in as straight as I could tap them in, I used a philips head screwdriver again (it was the same size as the bolt holes) to align the holes.

After that I replaced the bolts, washers and nuts, tightened them down gently then put the burner back into the furnace.

It took two retries for the gas to be fully circulated and I got a nice uniform beautiful blue flame from the burner. (see pics)  :)

I hope this helps others

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

Good writeup.  That's the sort thing we always need.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Wow, thanks Dave, seriously, coming from a technical writer that's like high praise to me..   :)
I was so focused on getting the job done at the time, I totally forgot to take any photos aside from the one with the flames and the pic of the spark ignition.  Happens sometimes that I get blinders on during a project and I see nothing outside of what I am doing.

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28