vent alternatives

Started by teryn, June 27, 2013, 11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teryn

We turned the closet into a bathroom, we just have a porta ptty, It tends to get really muggy in there- Wanting some idea's for different ways for venting other than the standard ceiling kind.  Just not comfortable with installing one myself  :(  thanks in advance!  happy camping

Stripe

By standard I am going to assume you mean the 14" square vents without the fan.  They aren't that hard to install with a little skill in power tools you'd be surprised. So that being said, how about one with a fan??  Also instead of going through the roof how about the type of vent used for our RV kitchens that go out the side?  Maybe even think about installing a smaller window in the closet.  My RV head has a Window that is about 10" x 12" AND a ceiling vent to boot, so you have several options to choose from.
If your looking for something less obvious, I would say use a pvc tube cut through the roof and use one of those tank vent caps that have a solar powered fan that runs continuously. If you do fan type of venting, I would install a sheet metal mesh screen into the bottom of the closet door.  This way air is drawn in at the bottom, and exhausted at the top. If you really do not want to do any kind of cutting through your roof or wall, then do the mesh thing at the top of your closet door as well adding a battery powered car fan to the top one.  You can find auto window fan inserts at pet stores.  The ones that are used to keep air flow in the car if you absolutely cannot take your pets with you when you park.

Hope this gives you some ideas..

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Madathlon

Roof Vents are the easiest to install and seal up. Ones like this one http://tinyurl.com/qb8ud6z take about a hour at the most to install.

You can also go to a RV service center and have them install one if you are not comforable with doing this yourself.

OR if you can locate a CW Club member local to you, he or she maybe able to help you get the job done much cheaper.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech