Will this Pull down RV bed fit?

Started by Alaskan Itasca, June 29, 2013, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

Hm? Hmm, Quite possibly..  Use 1"x4" or 6" for the framing.. It's totally up to Alaskan Itasca..  ;)
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Alaskan Itasca

Thanks for the detailed explanation I think I can go forth and conquer this soon. I'm having a hard time visualizing the box the side rail is only 3/4 inches wide so having a 1/2 box sitting there doesn't leave much room to lay in the plywood, or am I seeing this in my mind wrong...I wish I had a pull down bed I could go poke lol I do work better with pictures....and construction with wood is not my forte....

I just did the rear shocks tonight, I have to get three tires before the 26th when I take it I for an alignment....My fishing trip isn't until July 16th but I really want to family camp before then....It seems like the projects are endless with these old beasts.
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E

Stripe

Sorry this took so long, I had to rethink this due to your concern on the angle iron, here is what I had in mind.

The parts are to scale, the screw holes not so much...  The reference person is 5' 6 1/2" tall.

The dimensions I used are a 3' x 6', 3/4" Plywood sheet with two 1 1/4" x 3/4" x 3' head boards and two 6' x 3/4" x 2" side boards (these you can make higher if you wish).

Click any image to enlarge.

The 3d file is available on request.. And I can point you to a good viewer..

Here are the parts exploded..  No racing stripes sorry....

One angle of parts put together.

Second angle...

Holes drilled for angle iron.

First view of how I would drill and install screws.

Second View.
Fredric,

Alaskan Itasca

Wow thanks, After I sat down and found some time to ponder I kinda actually envisioned something similiar, but a picture is worth a 1000 thoughts and saves me from having to remember what I thought about three days ago.

Once the rv comes back from the shop I'll get this thing built and installed. My fishing trip is on the 16th of July.....
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

Stripe

Any time, also let me know if'n you'd like the .OBJ file, can be viewed in any free .OBJ viewer..
Fredric,

Alaskan Itasca

3/4 plywood is $$55.00-60.00 a sheet up here depending on wood type, ouch....I'm going to hopefully get this done this weekend. I'll get lowes to rough cut the sheet for me so I can fit in the car to get it home.
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

Alaskan Itasca

Well I got this started, and it is going well. Hopefully I will finish it up tomorrow. I started the project by building a new drawer to replace the one that fell apart. Now I can keep my silverware contained....

1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

Oz

Looks better than the original!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Alaskan Itasca

thanks, I got it installed today which was not fun. After I had the brackets whack against the ceiling a few times I figured out how to tie them off so they couldn't spring back up and then I managed to hoist it up and get it screwed to the brackets....I used 1\2 of a king bed mattress topper we had laying around as a mattress. I crawled up there to test it and it held me just fine. My son is so thrilled we are in the rv in the driveway camping tonight.

I have a couple of handles to install to make pulling down the bed easier, and a few tweaks to the bar across the back and all will be great. anyway a few more pictures and a happy boy...

1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

Alaskan Itasca

Well We are going camping tomorrow for the weekend, We are only going about 40 miles to Girdwood to crow creek mine (Which is still inside Anchorage) my son is super excited about the new bed and not sharing the dinette with his sister anymore....I got the handles installed, and everything is working well, I'm a little worried about this thing opening up and dropping on my head on our awesome frost heaved roads, so I'll be thinking of a way to keep those arms locked up when I'm driving without trying to attach a strap on the ceiling.

1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

xerofall

That turned out really nice. I used one of these to keep mine from dropping...

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-1-support-cargo-bar-66172.html

ClydesdaleKevin

Great job!  On our first RV, we initially used an adjustable shower curtain rod, from the top of the doghouse, to the bottom of the pulldown bed, to keep it from whacking us on the head on bumpy roads...lol!  It worked, although it was in the way.  I eventually installed a big barrel bolt and hardware, similar to what Mark did with his, and that worked great.

On our old Itasca, it was held up with what looked like a seat belt latch and a short length of seatbelt...which is how yours should have been initially held up.  So look on your ceiling for a bolt hole...you might be able to go that same route without drilling any more holes.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Alaskan Itasca

I wasn't sure if I could do this, my wood working skills are not all that great. I did have a table saw I bought from a friend moving to the lower 48 last year so that came in handy. Having the drawings above sure made it easier to visualize what I was doing.

Someone has installed wood paneling on the ceiling Someday I may swap it to FRP. I don't like the paneling all that much. So I can't see if there is a bolt hole or not. I'll have to look into the lag bolt solution to hold it up or the brace. I could go across the width instead of up from the doghouse with the brace.

Can't wait to out out this evening, I went on the highway for a few miles after I put on the ceramic spark plug wires and the ride is completely different and I have power again....Then Wednesday I go fishing for a week with a friend (who decided to bring his wife along) so I will probably end up sleeping in the new bed since I will give up the bedroom to my friend and his wife....My wife thinks that fishing sounds like work and has no desire to go....
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

Stripe

Lookin' good!
Didn't someone here use seat-belt connectors to secure their bed in the upright position?
Fredric,

LJ-TJ

Hey Mate this is what the stock straps look like. If you look at it close you can do the same thing with an old Lap belt out of a car.

LJ-TJ

tiinytina

Gone has same scissor bed, her's is held up by simply velcro straps.. one on each end of front. I'll try to snap a pix. Straps thread through a small bar. 3" wide velcro. 
tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Stripe

The one I saw here I cannot find but I remember it used seat belt buckles and the strapping..
Fredric,

Alaskan Itasca

Well I haven't found any bolt holes in the ceiling and I don't have a beam that sticks down like that one in the picture, since I was in a hurry I went to Freds and picked up a shower curtain rod for $13.00 and it is working for the moment.....I just mount towards the right just behind the dog house and it's not so hard to get in and out of the driver's seat.

I like the slide latch on the inside, but I'm not sure I have any structure in the wall for it to slide into. 
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

Stripe

You were at MY PLACE?!  AND TOOK MY CURTAIN RODS!!?? $@!#@!
Fredric,

Alaskan Itasca

only if your last name is Meyers....and I only took one from the guest bathroom you would hardly notice it was gone....
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP

Stripe

Fredric,

xerofall

I have a couple of those straps, they're not needed on my rig. Are they worth much? Does anyone here need them?