Mystery switch inside doorway

Started by rclifton, July 08, 2013, 10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rclifton

As you walk in there is a switch low down near the floor.  It has the word "Off" written on it but I can't figure out what it is supposed to control.

Here is a pic of the switch in question.

It is located below near the floor and to the left of the row of 3 switches literally just inside the door.  You can actually switch it on without even climbing in.

Here is the bank of 3 switches.  As you can see the switches and trim all appear the same which leads me to believe that it was at some point supposed to do something heh.

I thought at first that maybe it controlled all the basement storage lights as not one of them works but none of them work regardless of what position this switch is in or the position of the switches on the lights themselves in the basement..

DaveVA78Chieftain

The single switch should be for your coach battery disconnect relay

I would have to do some research of your diagrams to figure out the other one however it's my bedtime tonight.

The lables have simply wore off.

Dave
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

i?? Pull the switch out and follow the wires !! Hm? :laugh: N:( Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

My best guess is
Single switch - Electric Step Kill switch

3 switch
Ceiling lamps
Porch Lamp
While I can see wiring leading to the 3 switches, I am not sure about the third one.  It might be for underbody compartment lights.

The Coach Battery Disconnect switch is on the dash rather than down by the entry door.

Dave
[move][/move]

M & J

We have 3 switches in the same location in our Allegro. 1 inside step light, 1 overhead inside entry light and 1 outside porch light.
M & J

rclifton

Hopefully this comes out well.  Posting from my chair at Laguna Seca on my windows tablet.  The three switch bank is porchlight/stairwell light, overhead light, electric steps.  I don't think its the Coach battery disconnect as I have a switch labeled Aux Bat (on/off) on the dash.  I've tried following the wires but they disappear into the wall under the dinette seat, I don't want to know what it does enough to tear the wall off lol

pvoth1111

What color are the wires....in mine most factory wires are purple.....
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Stripe

I thought the aux batt switch was for when you need a boost to start the chassis or generator engine.  At least that is what mine does.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

rclifton

I think the switch labeled "battery mode" does that on my vehicle.  Its got the dual/mom toggle.  The manual I received with the coach says the switch labeled "aux batt" is used to disconnect the auxiliary batteries during storage without having to remove a battery cable.

My wife was out visiting her sister and didn't return till late tonight.  I'll have her check on the colors of the wires to the switch in the morning.  I'm seriously color blind and would be way off if I attempted a guess at what they were.

Stripe

Ahh, okay, was wondering.  Good luck on figuring it out, I am intrigued now as to what it could be for..  Dave mentioned storage lighting switch, have you tried that yet?

Wait, does your RV have an exterior outlet near the dinette seat it disappears close to??  Maybe it's a switchable outlet??

I know this sounds crazy, but if you haven't already, hook up to shore power and just flip it.  Are your stairs autoextending?  if so, turn the switch to the on position open your doors switch it back to the off position, THEN close your doors and see what happens..
Fredric,

tiinytina

We have similar panel in our Tiffin, first one is battery Off to shut 12v power completely off so that the little energy vampires like propane detector etc don't suck the coach batteries dead....  like above the others are for porch light, entry light, and floor lights. 
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

rclifton

We are thinking similar now lol.  At this point I'm more interested in figuring out what it does just because I haven't so far heh.  I've tried every scenario with the steps, it doesn't do anything with regards to the steps.  Tried it in the off position while unplugged from shore power, I still have power for lights etc.  There is a set of plugs outside under the dinette window but the switch doesn't have any affect on them.  I thought that maybe it controlled the lights in all the basement bins and maybe it does but none of them work for some reason. 

My wife says the wires are a blue one and a gray one.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I think I'm gonna see if I can't make a small hole and see if the wires go up the wall or somewhere else.

DaveVA78Chieftain

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1990/098993.pdf Page 2, left side.  Compartment light switch is the only one I see that uses blue and grey wires.  Blue wire is 12VDC source (circuit NM) from DC fuse panel.
[move][/move]

Stripe

Quote from: rclifton on July 10, 2013, 10:58 AMI thought that maybe it controlled the lights in all the basement bins and maybe it does but none of them work for some reason.

After reading what Dave posted, have you checked all your fuse banks?  Perhaps the fuse to the basement lights are blown..
Fredric,

rclifton

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on July 10, 2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1990/098993.pdf Page 2, left side.  Compartment light switch is the only one I see that uses blue and grey wires.  Blue wire is 12VDC source (circuit NM) from DC fuse panel.

Sounds like it could very well control the basement lights then, thanks a bunch Dave.  Could I trouble you for one more thing?  Does that pdf happen to show where its located or which fuse might protect that circuit?  I'm camping right now, and tethering my tablet through my cellphone.  No matter how I try I can't seem to get your link to open or save. 

Thanks!

DaveVA78Chieftain

So I do not have to keep going back and forth between threads
Wiring Diagrams: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1990/90_m31rq_wiring.htm

That html page lists 5 seperate drawings.  The one I linked to above is just a standard point to point "Body wiring diagram".  Most location information is contained in the Body Wiring Instalation diagram http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1990/097568.pdf
All the compartment information is located on pdf page 10 of that document.  The single switch is also shown down there by the other 3 switch plate.

As far as which fuse they do not show which one it is connected to.  All I can tell you is that it is a blue wire.  Not positive about 1990 however Winnebago started marking the wires with circuit designators sometime in the 90's.   The blue wire would be circuit NM

Dave 

[move][/move]

Stripe

Cut the blue wire??  What do you mean 'cut the blue wire'? They're ALL blue wires!!! ???
Fredric,

rclifton

Mystery solved!  It is indeed the master switch for all the basement lights, turns out after searching everywhere for a fuse (never found one) and following the wires to yet another dead end, I decided for some reason to investigate the switch side some more.  Pulled the dinette wall off and removed the switch.  As luck would have it, the switch itself was bad. Replaced it with a spare I had and now I have lights in all the basement compartments!  Thanks everyone, especially Dave for all the help!

Stripe

Fredric,