Do I have Anti-Spin rear axle?

Started by James E Vining, August 06, 2013, 12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

Is there anyway to figure out if I have the Anti-Spin rear axle without jacking up both rear wheels or draining gear oil and removing rear cover?
I have a copy of the Dodge Chassis Service Manual and the Dodge Motorhome Chasis Parts catalog but have yet to figure out which exact fuel tank I have or Rear end, I think I have the Spicer 70 but do not know if i have Anti-Spin or not and do not want to add incorrect gear lube if/when it gets low etc.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Service Manual - Spicer 70 axle (Page 3-41).   Lubricate information for all rear ends is also listed on that page (specifications at the end of the chapter)

Dave
[move][/move]

James E Vining

Thanks to both of you for replying, I may have missed something in the manual as it showed some w/o anti-spin and some with and the rearend itself did not help me although I think I may climb under again and at least write down all teh #'s so I can add them to my Winnebago folder as a test file. kinda nice that it sits higher then most 4X4's I have owned other then my 74 Power Wagon so getting underneath is a breeze.

James E Vining

FFH= Full Floating Hypoid does that mean it is not a Anti-Spin or does that refer to the Ring and Pinion Setup??

DaveVA78Chieftain

Far as I know, non of the Dodge Class A MH rear ends were posi-track (anti-slip)
[move][/move]

nalambright

A simple way to check for a sure-grip rearend is when you have both rear wheels off the ground, spin one by hand. If the other wheel spins opposite, you have an open differential. If they spin the same direction, you've got a sure-grip differential (Mopar term for posi-trac)

maxximuss

This has to do with the axle and how it is secured (mounted) in the housing. There is no clutches in these diff's so no need for a gear anti-slip additive. 

James E Vining

Quote from: maxximuss on August 06, 2013, 11:43 PM

This has to do with the axle and how it is secured (mounted) in the housing. There is no clutches in these diff's so no need for a gear anti-slip additive.

Thanks I should of Known better must be age, I used to work on Semi's all the time and remember they were all full floating,