Cold Air Intake ideas?

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, November 08, 2013, 06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

So our next mechanical project on our list before winter vacation is to fabricate some kind of a cold air intake system.

I posted it on this board since it would be useful info to anyone with any chassis that has a big 4 barrel carburetor.

In a nutshell, the reason we need to add a cold air intake is that with our Edlebrock carburetor and shiny chrome Edlebrock air cleaner housing, the gas starts to perculate in the carb on days any hotter out that 80 degrees.  So a cold air intake is the remedy.

All the pre-made systems either require the use of your original bottom of the air cleaner (Banks for one), which we no longer have, or they want an arm and a leg and your first born child, like Spectre.

So I decided I could fabricate a perfect setup, with an air box on the carburetor, a hose leading to the original location of the intake hose going out the front to the grill, and then use one of those red cone type K&N type filters up behind the grill.

Locating an air box is the problem I'm having!

Anyone have a lead on where to get the part that would go on the carburetor?  Like an air box that would just bolt right on with a place to hook up an air intake hose?  I've been looking, but can't seem to find one anywhere.

I don't see any reason to clutter up the engine compartment with a snorkeled air cleaner housing, which are also stupid expensive.

Any ideas anyone?  Once I can find an air box that will fit on top of the Edlebrock 4 barrel, the rest is a piece of cake!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

jkilbert

Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks for the reply, John!

I actually answered my own question this morning.

What I discovered is that first of all, the "air box" is called a "Plenum."  Once you know that, its a lot easier to find the info you need to get the right one...lol!

I also learned that you have to make sure the plenum is rated for at least or greater than the CFM of your carburetor.  A lot of the single inlet plenums are rated for 650 CFM or less.  Our Edlebrock is rated at 750 CFM.

I ended up going with a Spectre Performance plenum, rated at 900 CFM.  I ordered it from Summit Racing, part number SPE-9849.  Its a universal fit for 4 bbl carbs, and its configuration looks like I'll have no problem routing the air inlet hose where I want it to go.

I love it when a plan starts coming together!

I'll post some pics when my system is all installed so you all can see how it was done.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Madathlon

Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

ClydesdaleKevin

I was thinking about something like that, but with the way our engine compartment is, routing the second snorkel hose would be very problematic...in other words, near impossible...lol!  Since the factory snorkel hose goes to its own 4 inch tube that goes out into the front of the grill area, I decided that a single snorkel system of 900 cfm, a 4 inch hose going to the factory tube, then in the grill a big cone type K&N filter would be the way to go.  Banks used that same factory pipe for installing their cold air induction, with instructions on how to remove the baffle, so installation should be a snap.  I went with a plenum from Spectre also because it has a small surface area covering the carb, so less heat will be trapped and reflected back to the carburetor.

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Kev

cncsparky

Kevin, did you ever get your new cold air setup installed?  Any pics?
-Tom

ClydesdaleKevin

There are pics somewhere...lol!  Its after work from a very busy day...probably on one of my travel posts.

I used the Spectre plenum and air filter, and intake hose...running great so far with no problems and no perculation problems.

Kev

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

cncsparky

Thanks Kev, that looks great!
-Tom