No power to 120v items

Started by DragsRockers, December 04, 2013, 08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragsRockers

I just brought my 84 Chieftain home that I jusr bought and tried plugging in to shore power, but nothing is working. No outlets, microwave or fridge on AC. My generator wont fire, so I haven't been able to try that yet.

I checked fuses and breakers and they are good.

Am I missing a switch or something?

Madathlon

first thing first, have you checked the plug it self?

Are you using a 30 amp adapter to a 15 amp standard wall plug?
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

DragsRockers

The plug and cord are good. And it's a 15/30 dogbone on the cord. I didn't see any fuses on the dogbone and none have been added on the RVs cord.

Elandan2

Sounds like the automatic transfer switch is stuck on the "generator" side.  It is usually located in the load center panel.  It is simply a relay, you may be able to get to release by tapping it.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

legomybago

Yes Elanden2 is correct, the same thing happened to me. Get genny fired, then you will know for sure when the lights come on!!, might be easier to get genny running first then to pull out the convertor?? Sounds like the convertor will be coming out anyway though to me
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

DragsRockers

I got it figured out! But, I hate when I go through everything, knowing it all works, but then when I go to use it, it fails,  D:oH! lol. It seems the outlet in the house I was using, that worked before I plugged in, had an issue. I ended up using a different outlet that had stuff plugged in, and now I'm in business.

But, in the process of going through everything, I discovered a fuel leak above my front fuel tank. Also, my genny isn't getting fuel, so I'm sure this has something to do with it  i?? lol. I'll have to wait for my day off to fix it, but it will be in the 20's and 1/2 a foot of snow on the ground. What fun, lol.

legomybago

yes, it does help to have a live outlet!! Easy fix!! :)clap
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Madathlon

Yes, I do seem suggesting checking that first LOL Glad its all good now.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

DragsRockers

Quote from: Madathlon on December 05, 2013, 03:00 PM
Yes, I do seem suggesting checking that first LOL Glad its all good now.

Yeah, I have no idea what happened between the time I plugged in and the 1.5 minutes it took to go back in the RV, lol.

Froggy1936

One way i prevent this from happening (even when im plugging into a previously used outlet) I always plug in my polarity/ground tester (3 pilot lights) first Prevents reversing current to computors/ refrigerator control  boards electrifying the skin on the R/V etc Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.