74 Winnebago blown engine - advice?

Started by kage, December 10, 2013, 07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kage

To make a long sad story short, apparently the frayed power steering belt came off and took the main fan belt with it. Thermostat gauge or sender was not working and the engine severely overheated. Head and pistons are shot. I am looking at a new engine, it was the large one.
I am waiting for an estimate but I am afraid it's going to be more than I can afford.  My only other option seems to be walk away. Would any one buy a 74 even in really good condition without an engine? If it had a new engine is it possible I could sell it for more than the cost of a new engine to recoup any of the loss?
I realize this is all speculation but I am trying to think of a way to make this disaster less total.

ibdilbert01

This really depends on your skill.

If it were me, I'd be looking at two options.   Either I'd rebuild it myself (depending on how bad it is and or cost of parts), or I'd find a low mileage junkyard / craigslist / ebay engine and stick in it.   

Heck, you could even do a diesel conversion at this point of the game!     ;)
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

pvoth1111

I would think modern engine/trans transplant....
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

cosmic

look for a used one. they are cheap enough and if you can get one that just came out of a parted out leaking roof disaster. that has not sat for to long you probably good to go.
unfortunately I just saw a very good 74 440 sell for 300 dollars. keep you eyes open all over the internet. you will find one. :)ThmbUp

joev

If your handy look for used 3/4 or 1 ton dodge truck  there is lots of them for sale cheap  then you could do a transplant  and have the parts you need  Hm?
just a thought

LJ-TJ

All kidding a side. You can take your engine out in a day and if you have the reclaimed engine sitting there you can have it in in a day. Yes you can do it yourself but if you have a buddy that could help you is even better. In the last few years there have been several folks here that have swapped out there own engines so there's lots of help here if you want. It's not that hard to do. Really. Hm?

kage

Thanks for the ideas. I am reasonably handy in many areas but I am afraid this would be over my head. Friends are mostly useless Santa Cruz hippies like myself. Unfortunately. But the thought of a used rather than new/rebuilt engine is appealing. I'll look around if I can find something already out of it's donor vehicle and convince the mechanic that will do the work that it's a good idea...

LJ-TJ

Well all I can say is tread softly. Be real, real careful cause there's a lot of unethical mechanics out there just waiting for some one like yourself. How do I know? Because I was you. I don't know about in the States but in Canada to have a mechanic do the work it will cost more that the motorhome is worth. So if you can't get anything for it with out the motor running and it will cost you more than what it's worth to have a mechanic fix it. What have you got to loose.You can't screw it up any worse than it is right? I new nothing about doing an engine swap myself and was screwed. The lads here finally talked me into taking a shot at it and I thought they were nuts BUT. They coached me through the hole thing piece by piece and holy cow it worked. It really isn't that tough. It's a little time consuming but I'll bet you can do it. I can tell you this, when your done and you've done it yourself I can't describe the feeling when you fire her up for the first time. When your driving her down the road you have no fear because you know you fixed it and if it breaks you know how to fix it. It's an adventure and makes for some great campfire stories. But What Ever.

joev

i am with you did my first engine rebuild when i was 15 on a 67 Chevy II 283cid  read a manual and did it nothing to lose but your time and a little money but behold it worked and what does a 15 year old know. i fixed the rest of the car up by the time i was 16. I was driving it, drove that car and drag raced it at the track for 4 years  before my brother wrapped it around a telephone pole at 90miles per hour good thing he was not hurt  to bad about the car it was scrap.But if you put your mind to it you can do it  :)ThmbUp
just take lots of pics on how you take things apart and label stuff you can use plastic containers to put your bolts in and mark each one for what they are for  it not hard just do things in an order and record it lable wiring with masking tape so you know where it goes when you put it back  you can rent engine hoist from rental store and a basic set of wrenchs and socket set you must already have or you can buy at any hardware store 
I say why pay them pay yourself

kage

? Wow!  Thanks LJ-TJ, very inspirational.  I will really give that some serious thought. I will have to get it 100 miles back to my house but even the cost of that tow would be small compared to the alternative. You and joev are right what have I got to lose?

legomybago

Your going to lose some skin and hair off your knuckles, but your going to learn a few new words for your vocabulary!! Nothing is better than knowing every nut and bolt is tight, because YOU did it yourself. But what ever..... ???   
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

LJ-TJ

See,see I told you. Everybody's just chomp'n at the bit to help. I got tons of picks on my installation. Step one is to see if you got a buddy with a dully that would give you a had towing it home. That should save you a couple bucks right there. Shoot that might even save enough to buy and pay for the engine.

HandyDan

Oh, I so want to make a comment about this being the MH mating season, but I'm not sure Mark would appreciate it.   :)rotflmao When they start smelling the rear of other friends with four tires, you got to be wary.  They start getting really frisky this time of year.  But, I'll use restraint and not mention it.   W% Sorry Mark.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

LJ-TJ

• I'm sure I'm going to get in trouble for this but I just did a quick search and show you a little of whats out there. I should be posting this in RV stuff for sale but here it is.
1974 Winnebago Indian (hayward / castro valley)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Free 1974 Winnebago Indian. 440 ci Engine, smog exempt, needs interior work, runs and will move. I have clean title. Needs to be moved ASAP, city wants to tow it away. Call 925-339-9721
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/zip/4239450290.html

Stripping a Winnebago - $1 (paradise) http://chico.craigslist.org/rvs/4210792278.html

free 1972 Winnebago
I have a free 1972 Winnebago It will run after some work. The motor home does not leak. I need it gone asap. The motor home is north Trinity Lake. An hour north of Weaverville CA Call Kim 530-925-3210
http://redding.craigslist.org/zip/4223478160.html

440 engine and transmission - $800 (Nevada City)
1977 dodge 440 engine and transmission. Runs excellent!! Serious inquiries only. Asking $800.00 for the set up. Always interested in trade. Contact email with offer.
http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/pts/4157321347.html

cosmic

That's some great finds tj.
You better hope I  never figure out how you do that or im going to find all the deals before you.  :)rotflmao

see there is lots of stuff out there. even close to home.  :)ThmbUp good work man.

see that engine is on its way in already.

LJ-TJ

ClydesdaleKevin

What about replacing the heads and head gaskets and pistons/rings with the engine in place?  Not sure of you have enough room under your doghouse, but that might be another option if you do.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

joev

When you take off the dog house you can reach everything  so it would be possiable to do so as long as he does not have to pull the crankshaft. for a novice it would be difficult easier to pull the complete engine i think  Hm?

LJ-TJ

Yeah I'm afraid I have to agree with Joe,Kev. If Kage is working with limited funds and experience I think he's better of just pulling the engine and replacing it with a good use engine. I mean we've seen engines any were from free to $500.00 and I think for a first timer it would be a lot easier for him to do a straight swap.

kage

Appreciating all this input.  Working on getting the bago back here, it looks like a tow. Still cheaper than a new engine. I don't think California highway patrol would allow that (above) kind of dolly towing here?

Oz

Quote from: joev on December 12, 2013, 10:09 AM
When you take off the dog house you can reach everything  so it would be possiable to do so as long as he does not have to pull the crankshaft. ..

I'm going to have to disagree with this one point.  The 440 is so big in the doghouse opening there's barely enough room to get our hands and tools around to just get the valve covers off.  Word of wisdom - tie a string around your wrist and the tool your using every time or you will spend more time getting out and going under the rv to fetch it than you will actually turning the bolts. 

Forget getting at the exhaust manifolds or spark plugs from on top and it's no joy getting at them from the side and underneath on the passenger side either.  A 318 is much easier to work on in-vehicle.  The 440 is a mother and a half unless youre just working on the top of it.

As for the rest - I agree both ways: 

If you have the tools and a positive attitude, with the help of all your fellow CWVRV friends, you can and will get it done, and get it done right, no matter what your level of knowledge or experience.

If grinding your knuckles to the bone isn't your bag, then raising opening the front end, raising it up a bit, and replacing the motor with a verified good motor is the shortest route to enjoying your gently used vintage rv!

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

kage

Okay.  Bago will be towed back to my house for the heart transplant (aka engine replacement). Holy sh_t!  My first two questions:
1. I see there are some engines on craigslist now and then.  How do I tell if an engine is any good?

2. Aside from the manual available on line here, is there a book or manual that would give me anything even remotely like a step by step or  a more complete engine manual?

LJ-TJ

OK! Good Stuff. In answer to your first question. Hopefully you can find one close so you can go and here it run. Did we ever establish what engine you now have? Is it a 318,360,440?

Having never pulled or installed and engine in my life before and being a lot mechanically challenged I found three things I couldn't have done the project without.

1) Buy the Dodge Motor Home Chassis Manual.
2) Buy the Motor Home Chassis Manual. It's got great pictures.
3) You've got the best resource right here.

There are a ton of guys who have done it and have tons of pictures of how to do it. Just remember before you turn a wrench let us know. There are a lot of tricks to the trade that these guys are willing to share. Here's one. Every nut,bolt put in a bag and tag it and attach it to the part they came off. Take pictures of the part before you take the part off and then take a picture of the part and where it came off. A picture is worth a 1,000 words.

legomybago

1) Dont buy an engine unless you can hear it run....
2) If it's a new rebuilt motor with receipts sitting on an engine stand, your chances are good.
3) Take a valve cover off the motor and look at the rocker arms....should be nice and clean in there.
4) If its a running motor, have a friend watch the exhaust pipes when first started to see if smoke comes out, and watch for smoke when warmed up etc..
5) If seller already has engine warmed up before you show up....beware. It may have bad valve guide seals, or a cold knock sound (the seller maybe trying to hide something?) You never know....
6) Check the radiator for clean looking anti freeze before start up.
7) Check the engine oil before start up.

These are just some ideas off the top of my head....you can also get really involved with compression testing and etc...
My list is in no way in order either... W%
6)
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

joev

Glad to hear that you are up to the challenge like LJ-TJ says  mark things what there are for and take lots of pics. No matter how experianced you are if you are doing it over a week or two its hard to remember what goes where and what was that for again   Hm? don't get frustrated one step at a time. If you do take a break walk away have a coffee then go back to it .
As for what to get i would suggest getting an engine that you can see running and may be test drive the vechicle before the motor comes out or buying a rebuilt motor from a rebuilder most expensive  way . If it was me is would look for a 3/4 or 1 ton dodge truck  test drive it for 50 miles or so  then pull that enigne . it would give you a feel for what your upto  and possiable give you some spare parts starter, alternator,ignition system,wiring, fuel pump , ect, and when your done with it call the scrap yard and get some cash back out of it  off set your costs . of course strip any possiable need engine parts off old motor first eg carb. fuel pump,oil pan this will give you some inventory of parts that you dont need to buy down the road . then put the old motor in the back of the truck  to be taken away . oh by the way the tailgate on the truck makes a good work bench  ;) and the box of the truck a place to put stuff to keep it off the ground so you dont lose stuff untill your done with the project  and when you have it sold to the scrap it all goes at one time  your wife or girlfriend will be very happy to see it go  :D
just saying thats what i would do  W%