74 Winnebago blown engine - advice?

Started by kage, December 10, 2013, 07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kage

!! Wow!! A very generous offer (this guy lives like almost 700 mile away!). I will totally take you up on that if you are serious. This should probably go over to PM.

kage

OK, I'm back. First price I got for rebuilt turned out to be bogus, other rebuilts turn out to be rather pricey. May have found a running donor for $500 with trans. What to look for?  Hear it run, look at the rocker arms, watch the exhaust pipes when first (cold) started to see if smoke comes out,  check the radiator for clean looking anti freeze, check the engine oil before start up for burny or gassy smell, and watch out if it looks like a milkshake.  I don't think the vehicle sounds safe to drive.  What else should I look for?  Maybe hire a mobile mechanic for an hour to evaluate?

TheSportsmanDodger

Ohhh god the photo looks like a steer trying to mount a Weiner dog lol

Stripe

I had to go back two pages to see what dodger was talkin' about but yeah...  LOL, He's soooo right!

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

M & J

M & J

Stripe

:)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

I seem to remember a thread on here somewhere where a member pulled his old engine and swapped it or repaired it out of body. Looked like it was actually somewhat easy..
Fredric,

kage

Not replaced yet,  wiener dog heh heh. Anyway.
Going to look at replacement engine tomorrow.  Aside from earlier questions on what to look for in used engine, is there any easy way to tell a 440-3 from a regular 440?

pvoth1111

Why not a modern engine/trans from a salvage yard near you.....
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Mark, aside from a descriptive difference, I seem to recall somewhere on here that the engine is actually stamped with a code that says it's a 440-3 as opposed to a 440-1.
Fredric,

kage

It seems like the casting number on this one is 440-10. Some other reading I've done suggests that the -dash number after 440 is the number of the mold.  Each time they swapped out a worn out mold they added a number for the new one.  The interior information on the heads and cooling ports is good, but I'm looking for something exterior and obvious to a not very experienced would-be mechanic (me).  I've also heard about the 'peanut' spark plugs. What makes them peanutty? (aside from the flavor I suppose) Is it something I could see easily?

Elandan2

Why yes.  440-3 heads use a tapered seat spark plug that have a 5/8" hex.  440-1 heads use a flat seat spark plug with a gasket and have a 13/16" hex.  Simple huh? Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

DaveVA78Chieftain

440-3 ID Number: 5 t 440 T (located on font of tappet rail)

5 = Model Year
t = Built at Trenton plant
440 = Cubic Inch Displacement
T = Truck (Indicates it is a 440-3 block)

Complete 440-1 vs 440-3 Spark Plug info is in thread Mark pointed to.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

kage

Turned out to be a regular 440 not a 440-3.  Thanks guys, on with the search.