Fuel gauge stuck on full

Started by TripleJ, March 08, 2014, 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleJ

The gas gauge is stuck reading full when I'm certain the tank is almost empty  Hm?
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Stripe

I understand about the gas gauge, here is a link to something I thought I posted before but cannot find.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,9069.0.html
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

I am fairly sure you can apply this reference information to the P30 chassis also

The GM Fuel Gauge Mystery, 1965 and Newer

How To Bench Test Fuel Gauge
[move][/move]

TripleJ

Awsome info... I was going to say that all i need now is some warmer weather... but at this point id settle for just a little less snow  N:(

Weblamer

I had this exact problem on my winnie. Decided I did not want to deal with it and when I took it in to be serviced I told them to just fix it.

Turned out to be a severed wire under the cab. Instead of just splicing it back together, the shop ended up charging me $30 for labor and $100 for a new wire.

ಠ_ಠ

My advice is to first crawl under it and see if you can spy out any snapped wires.

circleD

I hooked a ground wire to the tab and still nothing on mine. I'll have to research it some more and check the ohms. Good chance the sender is bad.

Thundercloud

If there's a float in the tank maybe it jammed. Try to.kick the tank a few times or your resister, regulator or limiter could of pooped out. I'm personally baffled by the system of fuel reading but I'm studying all about it so I will be a proffesional in time. Another idea is the gauge needle got stuck. I'm sure its happened before. Try tapping on the gaugeuge. Interesting problem. I'm dealing with a fried circut board. D:oH!
Independence, freedom and determination!!!

cncsparky

GM senders are 0-90 ohm.  At zero ohms, the sender wire is shorted to ground, should read empty.  90 is full.  Full scale or past full ususally indicated an open or broken wire between sender and guage.  Start at the guage is probably easier than dropping the tank.  Find the sender wire going to the guage and short it to ground and the gauge should to to empty.  If it does the guage is ok. 
-Tom

TripleJ

Since I was working at the tank anyhow, I ended up starting there. It wasnt difficult to find the broken ground wire at the fuel level sending unit.  :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

Stripe

You got it easy dropping your tank if you dun have the MOR-RYDE.  On mine the torsion bars are in the way.

On a more interesting note, when I had a look at the front of MY tank, I think I saw a BIG power line.  Will have to get a closer look and post pics in another forum.
Fredric,

TripleJ

Oh, but the fun isnt over !-!

I was beginning the process of re-assembling my fuel system when I noticed that the driver side rear corner of the fuel tank was damp.  I suddenly remembered that I suspected a leak at the rear tank drain when I was inspecting the thing before I purchased it.

There was definitely some sort of bondo filler or epoxy or something caked in the area, evidence of an old leak "repair".  I did some digging, and much of the sealer peeled offs. I was hoping that it was just a leaking drain but found a hairline crack near the tank drain weld.  About 3/4 inch long. So Ive got that goin for me  :(

Stripe

You're lucky, I dun have that drain plug, I think the PO did something to it.

Wonder if Liquid metal filler will work on that?
Fredric,

TripleJ

There are actually 3 of those on the tank. Two on the bottom which are certainly drains, and one on top which I believe is for the fuel return line.

Grubby pic, but shows the three hoses coming from the sending unit and the extra one close by with the nub of 1/4" house still attached

TripleJ

I'm actually considering drilling the crack and soldering or brazing it proper like. This is a good tank with barely any corrosion. No reason to not go full awn with this repair

In gonna check around for a shop to do it first, but if they're not reasonable about it I'll have to handle it

Stripe

Excellent...
<insert wringing hand emote here>
Fredric,

circleD

Like I tell everyone fixing stuff on here. If you have it out a discover issues then save up some money and buy new lines, paint, fittings and all the small stuff. It's better to fix/upgrade in a controlled area than getting a tow or " Presidential engineer it on the road ".  ;)  Good work on this and keep us posted  :)ThmbUp
If Stripe had that racing pallet jack ready you could use it to lift your tank  Hm?

Stripe

And here is a rendering of the jack with a frame for the tank and a padded layer on top.

Fredric,

Froggy1936

JJJ Be very cautious with fuel tank repair. They do EXPLODE . Use no flames or sparks . I tried a repair once ONLY ONCE . Tank was out and empty for a few days filled with water and soap   redrained  had a hose running into it from an exaust pipe , When approching repair area With a flame . Tank turned into a 55 gal drum Laundry was ruined  $@!#@! :'( , and tank was no longer useable . If you can get someone to repair it for 1/2 cost of replacement that would be a good price . If you are going to watch make sure you are at a safe distance  N:(  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

TripleJ

So I had a whole reply typed in, but then hit the wrong button and deleted it before it posted  $@!#@! $@!#@! I hate when that happens

Anyhow, bottom line is I drained and stripped the tank today and dropped it off at a radiator repair place. Theyll call me in the morning with an estimate.  :)ThmbUp

circleD

Stripe

Fredric,

Stripe

OHHHH!  That, Okay. Thanks.  It's actually a 2D export from Google Sketchup.  Want the 3D File??

I have the Pro 8 Version.  Love the proggy.. Even the free version is kick butt..

Fredric,

TripleJ

I got my tank back today. They cleaned it, welded the crack and pressure tested it.  Cost $150, but I think they saw me coming with a non-stock looking gas tank.... O well.  They ended up laying weld  rather wide around both of the tank drains.  It looks ok to me, and appeared to be the right temperature.

And here it is with a coat of Rustoleum brush on undercoating.   :)ThmbUp

Ready to stuff it back under the vehicle

TripleJ

I went to auto parts today and they werent able to find a level sender gasket on the computer.  Ill try again because I forgot to bring the old gasket with me... Anybody have a part number or source for this seal before I have to go back there and look thru their entire inventory?

About 2.5 inches across with 5 screw holes

Stripe

Fredric,