Who has factory/aftermarket tachometer?

Started by cncsparky, May 15, 2014, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cncsparky

While setting my timing and idle yesterday, I realized I was missing something  :)rotflmao   A Tachometer!!  I don't have a factory tach  D:oH!   Those that have added one, do you have any pictures, or info on which one you have?  A Tach and a set of gauges are in my future.
-Tom

tiinytina

nope none here either though I keep praying the RV gods I know may sneak up and install one while I'm making lasagna or setting up to pit roast 50lb of goodness.... have plenty of room on the dash to put in another hole.   :)
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Rickf1985

With 4:56 gears and no overdrive I don't want to know the rpm!

LJ-TJ

Did you have something like that in mind?

cncsparky

Wow LJ, that is quite a guage package!  I'd love to have all those instruments. 
-Tom

HandyDan

This is the one I added.  I had the dual fuel control in the space I put the tach.  I needed something to fill the space.  I plan to make it blend in better later.  Easy install.  Just four wires: power, ground, distributor, and light.  Distributor already has a socket for a tach.  It is even labeled "tach".

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

cncsparky

Yes, HEI distributors have a TACH output.  Mine is already connected to something, I'm thinking maybe the cruise control?

BTW - Dan, I'd like to mount mine in the dash also, just not sure if there is room  i??   I'll try to get a pic of the dash for some ideas.
-Tom

LJ-TJ

All my gauges are Autometer. Yes they can be expencsive. I bought Autometer because in my opinion they, next to Stewart Warner are the best gauges on the market and yes because they are made in the U.S.of A. All mine were bought off Craigs list as a substantial savings.  :)ThmbUp Worth every penny.

cncsparky

I've always bought Autometer, including their marine gauges for my boat.  Might get a classic Sun tach though. 
-Tom

GONMAD

Where room is critical I went with the SUMMIT all in one tach. It has oil, water & volts right there with one glance. I also use the red shift light as an overspeed warning. I'll set it around 7 to 10 MPH over the speed limit so it comes on when going too fast. I've been using this for 5 or 6 years now with no problems. It's also cheaper than 4 separate gauges & easy to install. There is a picture of it in my pic section.     Have a good one, GONMAD

Froggy1936

I have a Sunpro, that i just moved from steering column to top of dash (with the 1995 speedometer panel). Mounted on the column it was blocking too much. The other 4 gauges are Amp, vacuume ,mechanical oil press & temp. For either trans or radiator (switched). Dash has votmeter, fuel, engine temp,speedometer and eng oil press (electric). 
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

M & J

A vacuum gauge aptly labled as a fuel saver. How true.
M & J

LJ-TJ

Is the fuel saver an Auto Meter. Nice looking gauges.

cncsparky

Thanks guys! Lots of options.  Here is my dash.

I don't see a good spot to mount any gauges in the current instrument panel, which would be my first choice.  Below the steering wheel is a ledge that may be a decent area to mount them.  Angled up slightly, they could be seen from the driving position.

-Tom

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

LJ-TJ

Hey Sparky this isn't intended to be insulting but man your dash sucks. The reason I built my gauge panel and the reason I think the other lads have mounted their gauges on the top of their insterment panel is so they don't have to take there eyes off the road when glancing at them. You may want to consider that. Hm?

cncsparky

Quote from: DonD on May 16, 2014, 09:05 PM
Yes the vac is an Auto Meter

This looks like the latest version.  May have to have one of those !!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2337/overview/
-Tom

cncsparky

Quote from: LJ-TJ on May 16, 2014, 10:01 PM
Hey Sparky this isn't intended to be insulting but man your dash sucks. The reason I built my gauge panel and the reason I think the other lads have mounted their gauges on the top of their insterment panel is so they don't have to take there eyes off the road when glancing at them. You may want to consider that. Hm?

It is kinda crappy, huh?  Looks like they took a stock GM instrument panel and mounted in front of it a woodgrain panel with cuttouts in it.  Probably best to re-veneer it and mount a set of aftermarket gauges.  Then I could get almost as many gauges as you  LOL!!!

I found these gauge pods on ebay.  Looks like a good option.

-Tom

LJ-TJ

I was just looking at your dash again and they really didn't leave you any good line of sight place to put gauges. That carbon fiber gauge pod looks great. If you didn't like the color you can always try to match the color of the fabric on your dash. Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

cncsparky

Dave, that is what I now have in mind for mine.  Thanks for the pic!

What gauges are you running?  Can't tell by the picture.

I'm thinking:  (for mine)
Tach
Water temp
Oil Press
Voltage
Vacuum
Tranny temp
Clock?
-Tom

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]