No right side frame rail extension on later Winnies

Started by Rickf1985, May 22, 2014, 06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I just typed for 45 minutes explaining why I was making a new post and explained all of my reasons and all of the pictures I was going to post up and then while trying to post pictures I hit back! D:oH! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! I lost all of it. Now my fingers are locking up and I just can't do it again. If I can figure out how to get picture on here I will explain them at a later date and answer questions then. Arthritis is a cruel thing.

Rickf1985

DaveVA78Chieftain

Instructions on how to post a picture: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,8969.0.html

Limitations on pics stored onsite (does not apply to pics stored offsite and linked to here):  http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7125.0.html

If you have more questions regarding this please ask in one of those 2 threads

Dave
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

This is looking straight up from the ground at the piece that is welded to the main frame, note the size difference. The back to back angles are welded to this. Also not the lack of heat on the weld on the angle on the right.
OK, I cannot get this picture/typing thing down. The type at the top is for the bottom picture and the type here is for the top picture. These are the back to back angle iron pieces that run under the compartment. You can see the C-channel at the far end that goes back up to the frame level. Note the difference in size here also. The white you see in the back is my sewer hose storage and the stone deflector, again to orient you on what you are looking at. I will put up more later when my pain meds kick in, or tomorrow. Sorry for the confusion.

pvoth1111

Its held together this long....is there an issue?......looks rust free/clean
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Rickf1985

Sorry, been tied up with other stuff. Yes, Stripe is right. I wanted to be able to tow my car trailer with a tongue weight of roughly 750 lbs with a weight distributing hitch. What I am trying to point out here is the fact that the support for the entire right rear of the camper. Bumper, trailer hitch, stone deflector. It is all supported by this section right here, not much at all. I have been a fabricator for close on 40 years so I have a bit of experience with how geometry works when pulling on things and 90 degree angles are not good for pulling. Especially when the joints are not fitted and the welds are not good. This vehicle was set up from the factory to pull a toad, the hitch is rated at 5,000 towing and 350 tongue weight. If you put a full 5,000 lb.s pull you will have a 31 foot motor home on the left side and a 35 foot motor home on the right side! That added in piece WILL bend.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteThis vehicle was set up from the factory to pull a toad, the hitch is rated at 5,000 towing and 350 tongue weight. If you put a full 5,000 lb.s pull you will have a 31 foot motor home on the left side and a 35 foot motor home on the right side! That added in piece WILL bend.

I know your frustrated about this however don't you mean:
If you put a full 5,000 lb.s pull you will have a 5000lb vehicle on the left side and a 35 foot 17,000lb motor home on the right side?

31 ft motorhome is still in the 15,000lb range.

Dave
[move][/move]

Wbago

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on May 27, 2014, 02:16 PM
I know your frustrated about this however don't you mean:
If you put a full 5,000 lb.s pull you will have a 5000lb vehicle on the left side and a 35 foot 17,000lb motor home on the right side?

31 ft motorhome is still in the 15,000lb range.

Dave

Hm? Dont he mean that if you tried to pull 5000lb, then one side would break away ??

Rickf1985

Wbago got it right. My GVW is 11,000 lbs.  What I was referring to is that the structure would bend and extend the bumper and hitch out on the right side making that side much longer than the left. I know, bad joke. :-[
I know now that there is no way I can do anything about the tongue weight but I am going to look into adding triangulation into what is there so the pulling part is much safer and then maybe go with a Trailer Toad. I could use the toad with my slide in also since as it is I have to use a 36" extension hitch on a Torklift 17,000 lb. Superhitch.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I was just relating to proper description of Ricks statement.  I fully realize what his concern and frustration is.  Also, if he only has a 11,000 GVW, then, as listed in the 1989 Chieftain brochure, he only has a 23ft rig.   That's no where near the GVW of a 31ft or 35ft rig.   We do not need to mislead other people, especially newby's, about what the GVW is.

Dave
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Easy Dave, I know you have had a bad day. My bad, My GVW IS 17,000 and I have a 31RT. I was thinking of my pick up for some reason when I typed that.
I guess my whole point here is not only the frustration of the matter but the fact that these vehicles were allowed to pass MVSS and be registered. Not only the towing factor but even if they never had a hitch on them, what about a rear end collision? Same scenario I posted above but in reverse with worse end results. The left rail would hold while the right would fold resulting in everything on the right caving towards the center. And what is there? A 80 GALLON GAS TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now when those angle irons bend in and spear the tank then what? Has it happened? I have no idea, I have not been in this hobby long enough to know. I have been in it long enough to know I don't want it to happen to me! Pictures will follow as I can get to it. Thanks for bearing with me. You guys that do tow might want to at least check that area for deformed parts. If I am wrong then call me a fool, I have thick skin. If I am right say nothing, nobody needs to know. You and yours are  safe and that is all that counts.

OK, You have me second guessing myself now. D:oH! I don't remember if it is 15 or 17,000. I will check tomorrow but it is a 31 ft.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Both Chieftain 31RQ and 31RT are 15,000 GVW.  I have seen a lot of Winnebago hype about roll over protection but I have never seen anything about collision testing.  From the news reports, even newer RV's seem to get fairly torn up in any sort of heavy collision.

Dave
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

I doubt they do any collision testing on R/V,s too expensive , And there is no way to make them safer any how ! Though moving the Fuel tank away from the rear would be a very good idea.  They are simular to VW bus,es you are at the scene of the accident as soon as the frt bumper hits !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Stripe

K's '71 VW Camper is missing a rear gas tank, there's an engine there instead.. ???

Rick, have you taken the rig to be looked at by a welder?
Fredric,

Rickf1985

I am a welder, been a fabricator for many years. I just need some time to really look it over and draw something up. The biggest problem is accessibility for welding with the gas tank right there. I have a whole bunch of asbestos siding shingles I use for just this reason but there is just not much room to maneuver. I need to get the sewer hose holder off and the rock guard also. That rock guard is as hard as a rock! Then I can see everything.

M & J

M & J

Stripe

I WANNA ROCK!!                        GUARD!!!
Fredric,

Rickf1985

My 71 Camper bus had the gas tank above the engine compartment. That is why they went up so fast with an engine fire. I always kept good fuel lines on mine. Of coarse a fire is the only way you were going to get heat in one!

pvoth1111

Just Crawled under mine for you.....on the pass side its connected to the channel as shown in yer pic.....on the drivers side it runs straight out from the frame rail.....I have pics I can send ya....the way its in there nothing is gonna pull it loose.....ever

Rickf1985

I would like to see your pics for comparison.
Thanks.
Rick

pvoth1111

The first pic....with the back to back angle....only holds up the storage compartment.....

pvoth1111

pvoth1111

pvoth1111