WEMAC black, grey, water tank monitor system doesn't work

Started by Dave R, June 06, 2014, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave R

got  a 73 Winnebago Chieftain D27CL and it doesn't work, never has, and i've never checked it either. went back to look at it because i just washed down the grey tank and wanted to check reading. small panel, couple rocker switches and a led. has a remote genny start as well. has anyone had a issue with them? just need a direction to start. indicates no power and for some reason a ATandT amount of wires. wow!!. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Fair Winds and Following Seas

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Oz

The monitor is called the WEMAC (edited topic title to include this for future message searches).

I'm very fortunate to have a copy of the exceedingly rare "eyebrow" coach manual, the one now available to everyone in the store.  It's much more valuable in information it provides than the price tag would suggest, that's for sure.

As for the WEMAC - it's a very good resource...

"The control panel on which the switch is located is called the WEMAC.  The Eyebrow Coach Manual covers it: troubleshooting and provides the wiring diagram for it as well."

A note on the manual.  Although it was published in 1974, the vast majority of information it contains, applies to about 10 years of Winnebagos, all the eyebrow types. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Dave R

Fair Winds and Following Seas

Oz

We've had a couple people looking for a replacement unit, except for getting one from a salvage yard (and taking the chance that it won't be any good anyway), I do know a couple people replaced theirs and it worked, but as far as I can remember, we haven't had any alternatives or really any successful repairs done on a bad unit. 

Input on this from people who have repaired or replaced theirs would be of great benefit!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

Well, I did replace a transistor many moons ago to get mine working.  I would have to pull my down and reverse engineer it.

Dave
[move][/move]

PwrWgnWalt

Hi Dave R;

Did you get it figured out?   

First thing is to find out if there is power getting to the unit. Mine has a master switch that either turns ON or OFF the entire panel (see bottom left of the attached pic). 
Most of the wires behind mine are for the tank monitors (something like 5 for each tank, total 15 wires), but the one I'd check first is to see if you are getting power to that master switch if you have one.
The wiring going from there was all intact on mine, but not connected in many spots.

I did have to replace a blown transistor on mine, too. Radio Shack was able to match it.

See also my post about a replacement in my blog (page 2, reply #25) http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,6765.25.html
Walt & Tina