Question on batteries. The bigger of the two.

Started by xerofall, June 07, 2014, 01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xerofall

So I'm getting ready to purchase new batteries for my 1973 Winnebago. I know a little about parallel-ing batteries with my Jeep. I put a dual battery system in the Jeep to power accessories like my winch, light bar, etc...

But when it comes to something like an RV I'm a little lost. I searched around a bit but couldn't see anything related to my questions.

Because the former owner didn't winterize the RV for years, the water heater ruptured and dripped down into the battery compartment, corroding both batteries. The engine battery works, but needs to be replaced. My real question comes from the bigger one. Do I need to replace the big one with the same type/size? Or can I parallel two smaller batteries? Can I do three batteries in place of the larger one? Would that strain the system like the alternator, cables and isolator?

Oz

What do you mean by "bigger one"?  Is it a golf cart battery?  Is it a large gel battery?  You said your chassis battery is okay but you want to know about coach batteries.

I did a little searching too and found these for you.  Read the last one for sure:

Coach battery recommendations:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,6742.msg28267.html#msg28267

Wiring in series or parallel:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,3531.msg8708.html#msg8708

6 or 12v batteries?
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,4283.msg12833.html#msg12833

And a real good one - it should answer all your questions:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,1969.0.html
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

xerofall

Thanks for the help, I'm starting to think paralleling two 6 volts is what might be best, if they fit in the tray. We're probably looking into camping away from shore power more than a place with hookups, so it makes sense.

As far as the "bigger battery" please forgive my dumbing-down terminology... I have never seen such a massive battery in a vehicle before. My only experience is with regular car batteries and the big boys that run forklifts.

But here's what I'm talking about. (From the brochure) It's the big red one. I have no idea what it's called or any specs.

I have terrible luck when it comes to asking actual people questions at the auto parts store. I tried to explain the second battery was bigger and the only markings I saw on it was "8D" and they had no clue what I was even talking about. I was even standing in the RV section of a store looking at a Pop-a-Napkin dispenser and the kid working there told me they don't carry RV type stuff... hmmm....
  N:(

I understand the parallel vs series, my only concern was with the amount of banked batteries the rig could handle, but reading the links it seems the only limitation is financial and space. So I will go look at the Interstate 6v batteries tomorrow and make sure they'll fit in the tray (and fit my budget.) And a regular 12v for the chassis.

LJ-TJ

• For what it's worth I'm in the same boat and thanks to this gang I'm going to go with Trojan T-125's. They seem to be the most common in use with motorhomes and comparable in price. In terms of fit. They'll fit in the tray of my 1975. My only concern is weight. They are 65 lbs each and I have a friction try so it might be difficult to pull the tray out and in with the three batteries on it.
  • http://www.trojanbattery.com/product/t-125/
  • Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

The red battery in this picture has 6 water fill tops so it is a 12VDC battery not a 6VDC battery.

Key to 6VDC is it only has 3 water fill holes.

Dave
[move][/move]

DonD

FWIW I've got 2 6v in series, paralleled to 1 12v. Works for me.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

xerofall

Got it all worked out... You guys are amazing!

Here's what happened... the old coach battery wasn't working... so that kept the converter and shore power from working, I'm such a dope not to think of that before... I thought they were both broken. Nope, as soon as I got the batteries all set, the lights came on, the fans all work, and as soon as I flipped the converter from battery to shore, it popped on and began working too!!!

I was shocked, no pun intended.

I went with the two Interstate 6V batteries at $129 each for the coach and one Die Hard Marine cranking battery from Sears for $100. Wired up the 2 6V in series and got the Die Hard put in and they work as they should. All the outlets work, all the lights (except the oven fan light for some reason is still not working.) Even the furnace cranked on so I know that's working.

All I have left to check is the air conditioning, the propane and the fridge. Man I hope the fridge works, thats not something I want to replace, might go with an ice box like my dad's travel trailer.

Note: I had to remove the wood base from the battery tray so the taller 6V Interstate batteries would clear the compartment.

xerofall

burt6666

I went with two 4D batteries for the coach....just enough room on the tray for them and the normal chassis battery.Tons of juice !!!

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"