Battery Disconnect Switch

Started by DaveVA78Chieftain, June 08, 2014, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

Here is how I installed my Battery Disconnect Switch with key.  I would use this for storage if I do not have shore power available for the PD9260 Converter Float mode.

Simple aluminum L bracket (large enough to cover switch flange) with a hole drilled through it big enough for switch key shaft to fit through.  I used rivets to attache switch to bracket to prevent excess screw length on either side but pan head screws will also work.

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Thank you for the pictures Dave I am working on getting the same thing installed on my Winny now.

moonlitcoyote

And here is mine, I just finished installing it...

DaveVA78Chieftain

:)ThmbUp    :)clap :)clap    :)ThmbUp

Not much more I can say to that!

Dave
[move][/move]

M & J

M & J

moonlitcoyote

Now I have a question about it though, what would happen if I have the batteries in the off position and plug into shore power? Will I burn something up since the converter will be trying to charge batteries that are not hooked up?

I was thinking that after the batteries are fully charged I could disconnect them while on shore power so I dont boil the batteries. Can I do this?

pvoth1111

If you have a modern converter....battery boilage should never happen...
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

DaveVA78Chieftain

The charging circuit in your Parallax 6345 Linear converter is on a separate circuit board.  When the converter is ON the system loads are disconnected from the battery and only the charger board sees the battery (10 - 12 amp max charge capability).   With the battery disconnected the charger board does not see the battery and just will not put out charging current.  I do not see that having the battery disconnect OFF will create a problem.
Schematic: http://www.parallaxpower.com/6300/6300.PDF

The problem with this converter was battery boiling during storage due to the high float charge voltage (13.8VDC).  Modern 3 stage units float at 13.2VDC

Dave   
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Thank you Dave, that should  keep the batteries from boiling dry until I get my upgraded converter.