Is this the right frame mount propane (LP) tank for my '79 Shasta class C?

Started by aaron7, June 11, 2014, 04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron7

Our 79 Shasta class C has a leaky LP tank. Yeah, that was a fun winter smelling propane and not using the furnace. ugh.

Anyways, fixing up our baby and I'd like to get the LP system back up and running.

Wondering if this tank is what I want? $200 shipped doesn't sound too bad!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERMANENT-HORIZONTAL-PROPANE-TANK-30-LB-30LB-FRAME-MOUNT-VAPOR-WITHDRAW-DIESEL-/181132323787

And yes, I'm sure the tank is bad! It's original anyways, not safe!!

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

legomybago

I'm not sure if it says in the add, but make sure it's not a tank that has an expiration date....I wouldn't replace yours with anything thats not the eguivalent W%
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

That is not a permanent mount tank, that is the DOT bottle that slides in and out and is dated. I have them in my slide in camper. You are probably looking for an ASME tank with mounting flanges. That said, that is a good price for a horizontal tank. I am going to look into that since one of mine is way out of date.
You did not mention what type of tank you had so I am just guessing, I am thinking a class C in 79 could have either one. If it is bolted in and has a tag welded to it then it is a ASME tank.

Rick

aaron7

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

You need to compare apple to apples here. You are comparing pound containers to gallon containers. A 30 pound container is roughly 7 gallons and a 14.1 gallon container is 60 lbs. of propane. One mounts one way and the other mounts totally different. You need to know what you have.

DaveVA78Chieftain

MANCHESTER rv tanks

DOT Tanks (normally portable), like the one you asked about (1175TC) have the OPD valve like used in a BBQ grill tank

ASME Tanks (permanently mounted tank) do not have a OPD valve.

Dave
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

And the ASME tanks do not have to be recertified every ten or twelve years.

aaron7

Awesome! Can't wait to order that tank. We've been without LP since December. At least it's warm out now!!  ???

Mr. T

A new tank is certainly the way to go.  While at it, you might want to consider an extended stay set up.  This way you can use 30 lb cylinder and save your on- board tank for emergencies or while traveling down the road.

Don

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

aaron7

All safety stuff is definitely a given and will be replaced/installed. I'd love some modern conveniences too but we'll have to see what there is for extra cash!

:)rotflmao  ...extra