Water heater doesn't re-ignite to keep water hot

Started by boogie_man, July 01, 2014, 11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogie_man

Question, when I auto ignite the water heater I go out I see it running, give it about 10-15 minutes and see it delivers hot water.  But I never hear it re-ignite and our water doesn't stay warm, so I recycle the start up, it runs again until heated but never self ignites to keep water warm.  Am I missing something ??? ?

Oz

Any1?

We do have a lot of excellent water heater manuals & troubleshooting guides in our Member Area. 

When posting a question about a fridge or water heater or airconditioner, etc.  it's very helpful to post the make and model.  What do you have?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Mr. T

If you haven't done so already, clean all of you wiring connections at the tank and surrounding area.  Loose, corroded wiring will always cause trouble. Wouldn't hurt to clean the piping as well.

Don T.

circleD

:)ThmbUp that will narrow it down by 80% of any problems for these older beast.

Wbago

Quote from: Mr. T on July 13, 2014, 07:33 PM
If you haven't done so already, clean all of you wiring connections at the tank and surrounding area.  Loose, corroded wiring will always cause trouble. Wouldn't hurt to clean the piping as well.

Don T.

be sure to clean the circuit board connections too, might mean you removing the control box to get at it ...

You dont say anything about the light on the control panel, what happens there?? ... when you switch on the water heater, the red light should flicker and go OFF, then stay off no matter what .... if yours turns back ON after getting the water hot, its found a fault and locked the board out ...

boogie_man

Sorry I haven't updated and thanks for your replies, it seems if you light the stove (to get propane moving?)
then hit the switch, the lights goes on and off quickly and in a few moments she fires. Just went to Santee Lakes over this past weekend and it worked very well.  I will do the other thing mentioned as well (clean all connectors etc)   Am I on the right path ???

Thanks again

Scott

Wbago

Odd that you have to turn the stove on, shouldnt make a difference lol :D