Scrubbing off exterior grime

Started by Weblamer, July 23, 2014, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weblamer

I got a good build of of 'bleh'. I was not too impressed with the results at the carwash. Can anyone recommend a good detergent to clean the exterior's buildup of about a decade of grime?

pvoth1111

A magic eraser works good somtimes
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Weblamer

It would talk me a loooong time to go over the whole body with a magic eraser.

I am thinking of renting a power washer. Only problem with that is the decals are old and cracked and would probably come right off.

Oz

You're right on the magic eraser.  You'd need a real big one!  And you don't need to spend unnecessary dough on expensive cleaners.

Any grease cutting, liquid dish detergent works fine.  Get an RV washing brush.  They telescope and attach to a garden hose.  The brushes are soft.  Works great!

BTW - Have you figured out what chassis your RV is yet?  Chevy?  Ford? And the engine size?  350 ....?

If so, please update the RV info in your profile.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

khantroll

I use a chemical called Krud Kutter, it can commonly be found at Home Depot and Walmart. It works great on that green, moldy looking residue that some people have told me is tree sap. If it's just road grime or similar, then soapy water would probably work just as well though.

Stripe

Simple green to clean crud, then mop 'n' glo to clean and get a shine..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

cosmic

wax that rig real well by hand and you wont get things sticking to it for a long time. After you scrub it by hand.  Nobody likes it but you get what you put into it.

ClydesdaleKevin

The product I have found to work the very best getting rid of the grime...even works on mildew and makes it disappear like magic...is Scrub Free!  Don't let the name fool you...you still have to scrub.  But all that grime will wipe right off with just a paper towel.  Cheap too...about 3 bucks for a big spray bottle at Walmart!  It works amazingly well...better than anything we've used over the years, bar none.  It DOES strip off the old wax, so you'll either have to wax the rig when you are done...or do what we do:  After wiping off all the grime and mildew with paper towels, rinse the rig with your garden hose, then use an RV brush and wash and rinse the whole rig again with Turtle Wax wash and wax.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

legomybago

Purple Power works amazing, you can buy it at auto parts stores, spray it on straight strength, dont let it dry, either power wash it off, or I like to use a retired RV brush in my hand and give it a scrub, then rinse off. It will take off wax though....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

fedcard

I have used diesel and it works.

legomybago

Oz

I used acid and let it sit 24 hours.  Came out next day and wondered where my RV went.   i??

!-!   Would NOT advise using diesel or gas or petroleum byproducts. I don't think that's environmetally concientious.  You have to rinse it off and the diesel will go into the ground.  I think that would actually be a fine if someone complained to the EPA.  You have to wash it with detergent to get the diesel off anyway so...

legomybago

Some people out there DO use diesel or gas to clean their RV, they rinse it with a match...... W%

Oz

And I would have wasted all that time rinsing with detergent...

legomybago

:)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

pvoth1111

you dropped acid and washed the RV?....hmmm yea that might work.... :angel:
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Oz

This is group is mental train wreck.  I love it!

M & J

I'm not going to say anything.
M & J

Rickf1985

Quote from: pvoth on July 24, 2014, 03:55 PM
you dropped acid and washed the RV?....hmmm yea that might work.... :angel:
I doubt it W% i?? :)rotflmao

cncsparky

A tip from a pro detailer told me to dilute some muriatic acid in a spray bottle, the pressurized type used for weed killer. He did that to my boat that had typical dirt ring around the hull.  Came right off. 
-Tom

Stripe

Quote from: oldrockandroller on July 24, 2014, 05:57 PM
I'm not going to say anything.
Ditto.. ???

Quote from: cncsparky on July 24, 2014, 09:17 PM
He did that to my boat that had typical dirt ring around the hull.  Came right off. 
No more "Ring Around The Collar?" :)rotflmao
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

M & J

M & J

cosmic

I have a friend from Santiago chilli. His dad used to wash his taxi every day with a bucket of water and 2 or 3 oz. of kerosene.
Most likely because they didn't have any better cleaners. but can you imagine doing this every day for 20 years and the paint still shined.
lots of good stuff out there. So drop one, start scrubbing enjoy the trip. lol
Hint: No can on the market that will do the scrubbing for you...... the acid how ever???

tiinytina

Repaint using Marine Awlgrip paint... done, soap water wax not needed... :-)
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Rickf1985

Quote from: cncsparky on July 24, 2014, 09:17 PM
A tip from a pro detailer told me to dilute some muriatic acid in a spray bottle, the pressurized type used for weed killer. He did that to my boat that had typical dirt ring around the hull.  Came right off.
I am sure that did interesting things to all of the aluminum on the rig!